• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ESC key and acrobat comments

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I write a comment and press the ESC key, acrobat closes the comment window without saving the comment. Do anybody know, how I could change the behavior of acrobat?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

They changed it so now you need to press ALT + ENTER

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ESC often means "Cancel", you should use TAB or ENTER instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to clarify, you can't change how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hit TAB you will get a tabulator-code in the text of the comment. If you hit ENTER you will get a new line in the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ESC used to save the text of the comment before closing the window. This week, ESC key changed function and now only closes the comment.
TAB adds a tab to the comment. This is not the desired function.

ENTER adds a line break to the comment. This is not the desired function.

Restoration of previous ESC function is desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "correct answer" is not actually an answer but a confirmation of the problem, which is that many people learned to save their comments and go on to other tasks by hitting ESC.  The new interface makes sense, i.e., if I don't want to discard my comment then I can press ESC.  However, it would be great to have some other key to press to confirm (post) the comment and continue.  It seem the best practice, for now, is to click "post" with the mouse, or simply click anywhere in the document as that has the same effect as posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking anywhere in the document adds a dot when using the drawing tool, so clicking anywhere is not ideal either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why did (does) Adobe change something that has been working this way for ?decades? Even after annoyingly discarding many needed comments, my muscle memory still does this automatically.

Has Adobe employed some bored teenagers as programmers who like playing for the hell of it?  There is a real world out there for whom stability is far more important than novelty.

The problem Adobe has created is still there. Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would one want to discard his/her own comment? The action of discarding the own comment requires no shortcut like ESC because no one frequently would use it.

Please give us the old behavior where we can exit the comment without losing the text by just pressing one key. I know I can press ALT+ENTER. It works, but (1) these are two keys to type, (2) inadvertently I pressed too often ESC and lost my comments! So I had to retype them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After more than a year and many hundreds of comments with ALT+ENTER I do not want to switch back again. I am sure that Adobe will not do this. Over time we will learn to use new keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, ENTER should not act as RETURN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They changed it so now you need to press ALT + ENTER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! I was confused, as I also have a new laptop and tried to find out whether there is an option which I have to use to change this behaviour. Good that I found your post here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers, everyone, but Alt + Enter doesn't seem to fully replace Esc.

Esc fully closed the pop-up box including minimizing it, but Alt + Enter only closes the text entry part of the pop-up box without minimizing it. Is there any keystroke that will fully close and minimize the pop-up box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am likewise appreciating these answers and discussions.  My main problem now, even though I know to press alt-enter, is that I've been pretting ESC for years to save comments.  I find myself frustratingly using the old mechanism from time to time, so I need to enter the comment twice.  I suppose I will eventually learn through negative reinforcement, but find myself wishing that there was a way to *disable* the ESC to discard mechanism.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Esc was used to confirm the comment AND close the popup.

Esc is now used to cancel the comment AND close the popup.

Alt+enter is used to confirm the comment, BUT there's no key to press to close the popup!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for being so patient. 

The behavior of Esc would be to discard any draft content typed in the comment box. To post the comment, either the Post button be clicked, or Alt+Enter be pressed. Further, a mouse click on the document will also post the comment. So, apart from the Esc key, all other ways to post the comment are retained.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely counter-productive and time inefficient if you work all day with correcting manuscripts, which sadly has to be done through Acrobat. People are on the edge about the loss of a decades-now functionality and you can at least offer the OPTION through the preferences to save our time, instead of just charging monthly heavily costed plans. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please vote as CRITICAL the request that has already been opened here:

https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/45389335-hitting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have finally cracked up a solution. First of all uninstall Acrobat from Creative Cloud. Then head to this link from Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/acrobat-2020-downloads.html

and download the 2020 version. Install this one and sign in with your subscription credentials! Et voila! The old beloved ESC function and a speedy pdf editor is back in the game! I hope this helps everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines