Export tooltips and import them again

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

I work for a translation company, we translate forms with its tooltips

I am doing it manualy , one by one

Is there is a way to export the tooltips to an editable file and then import them again, once translated or changed?

thanks

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Not directly, but you can use a script to do both. For many forms that I work with I keep track of the tooltips in a spreadsheets, which automatically generates the code to set the tooltips. For example, the code to set the tooltip text for a field named "Text1" to "Tooltip Sample 1" is:

getField("Text1").userName = "Tooltip Sample 1";

To set the tooltips, I just copy the cells from the spreadsheet that contain code like this to the interactive JavaScript console, select all of the lines, and pres

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's possible to do it, but it requires developing a custom-made tool to export the tooltips (along with the field-names) to a plain-text file, and then import the translated file back into the PDF later on.

This is not a trivial task so if you're interested in hiring someone to develop such a tool for you, feel free to contact me privately at try6767 at gmail.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not directly, but you can use a script to do both. For many forms that I work with I keep track of the tooltips in a spreadsheets, which automatically generates the code to set the tooltips. For example, the code to set the tooltip text for a field named "Text1" to "Tooltip Sample 1" is:

getField("Text1").userName = "Tooltip Sample 1";

To set the tooltips, I just copy the cells from the spreadsheet that contain code like this to the interactive JavaScript console, select all of the lines, and press Ctrl + J, and the tooltips are set for all of the fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

I am testing it, if I have problems I will ask you again if it is not a problem

but it seams to work ok!!!

i have to create the automatic spreadsheet now

thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, me again

can I do this with the export values?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the export values of drop-down fields? If so, you can use this tool I've created to import a list from a text field to a drop-down menu: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Import Items from a Text File to a Combo-Box or List Field

This gives me an idea to add a command to it that will export the current values to a text file, so they can be more easily edited...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, I mean the export values of the checkbox , like "YES or NO" or "Male or Female"

the fields that share tooltip but has different export values in OPTIONS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's possible too... Contact me privately and we could discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, see the documentation for information about the exportValues field property. It allows yo to get/set the export values for radio buttons and check boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello George

I am having some issues, I was wondering if you could help

- the scrip does not word with some characters in the tooltip, like / ? ( ) . , - , the error is

could this be solved? I cannot tell the client to change the tootip

TypeError: getField(...) is null

1:Console:Exec

undefined

- I cannot export the filables files, the scrip is not working

var cSummary

for(i=0;i<this.numFields;i++)

{

var cName = this.getNthFieldName(i);

var cToolTip = this.getField(cName).userName;

cSummary += cName + " : " + cToolTip + "\n";

}

this.createDataObject(this.documentFileName.replace(/\.pdf/,"_Tooltips.txt"),cSummary);

ReferenceError: cSummary is not defined

1:Console:Exec

undefined

- is there a way to import the translated export value? (not the result, the actual export value like yes or no, male or female, single or married etc to be able to insert the translation)

thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is interested, I've finished developing a script that allows you to do it easily and quickly:

Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Import/Export Tooltips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just to confirm and make sure before I purchase, can you please let me know if special characters (such as ?!#@, etc) and double byte characters (for language like Chinese, Arabic, Thai, Japanese, etc) are properly handled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, if the text file is encoded properly. Basically, if you can enter those characters manually, then the script should be able to apply them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines