I am wanting to export a large pdf file to png but getting this error message:

Is there any way around it? Cheers, Vicki

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Hi Vicki,

As error message says, "The image is too wide to output. Please crop it or reduce resolution and try again" seems this must be causing issue with a specific PDF which has a pdf page with the large content.

I don't think so there would be a workaround to fix that specific page. But we suggest you to read this help article The Image is too wide to output. Please crop it or reduce resolution and try again (Print Production) where similar issue has been addressed and resolved.

Let us know h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vicki,

As error message says, "The image is too wide to output. Please crop it or reduce resolution and try again" seems this must be causing issue with a specific PDF which has a pdf page with the large content.

I don't think so there would be a workaround to fix that specific page. But we suggest you to read this help article The Image is too wide to output. Please crop it or reduce resolution and try again (Print Production... where similar issue has been addressed and resolved.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, it's really cool that I have to go to Photoshop and pull in the PDF to export it as PNG or JPEG.

Acrobat says the file is too wide to export to PNG/JPEG, however the PDF exports JUST FINE if done through ANYTHING BUT acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This supposed fix has a link that is broken, resulting in a 404 Not Found error. 

As others have stated, it is ridiculous that someone needs ANOTHER program to save as a jpeg, especially when it is offered as an option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be yet another way in which Adobe presents the user with limitations rather than empowering us.  Why limit the size of output files?  This is an obstacle to professionals; allow us to work with large files, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this today. I first cropped it in the obvious response, didn't work. Then I had an inspiration to compress the PDF, and it worked -- I was able to export it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there any way around it?"

Photoshop : File menu : Open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open PDF with a graphics program like Gimp, Photoshop, or Illustrator, and re-export (save as) a graphic filetype of choice.

Crop, resize, or reduce filesize will sacrifice resolution.

This shouldn't need to be a workaround for Acrobat, but there's no native solution in Pro DC as of now (10/2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, this works perfect. However, as you correctly said: this shouldn't be required...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop worked for me. THANKS! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same issue, but I don't have a graphics program like photoshop, and the link that's listed as the correct answer shows a 404 error. 

Is there a way to identify the actual problem and fix it, or some other way to re-size the document? I'm using Adobe Acrobat pro. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your error look like this? if so, you could use a preflight profile to re-size your pdf, so it won't exceed the maximum size, (Tools> Print Production> Preflight) or you could try to optimize your pdf to downsample (reduce the resolution) of the images (File> Save as other> Optimized pdf.

Size error.pngscale to specific size.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The right answer if you're on a Mac is to promply give up with Adobe and open it in Preview where it exports as a JPG, PNG, etc effortlessly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 OS. I received the same error. When I Saved the PDF (Menu_Save As Other_Optimized PDF...) and then opened the new document up, export as Image worked. But agree with other users here: there ought to be a simpler way for the software to behave when confronted with  a document that "doesn't meet" the correct whatever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do Cntrl+P - in print dialoge - print option we had PDF - and give a new file name. This new printed PDF file will not have the above mentioned issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines