Extract images with applied styles included (dropshadow, frame)

Explorer ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if there's a way to extract all images from a PDF with the styles applied in InDesign still intact. With apps like "PDF Image Extractor" you can pull all the images, but it's just the images. Is there a way to do that but with things like frames or dropshadows included?

Current workflow is to open in PS, flatten, and then crop each image.. but the process is tedious and takes too long.

One solution would be to apply the object style before placing the image on the page in InDesign, which would allow PDF Image Extractor to work as I need it to, but it also just moves the work from one area of production to another - plus I'm not sure if having the styles applied before layout wouldn't actually take more time.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the snapshot tool from the edit menu to create a screenshot of the selected area in you PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for a print job so screenshots aren't going to work. Also, not really "extracting", which is what the question is about - I need to *extract* the image along with the layer above and below it. Thanks anyway... I'm starting to think this might not be possible without getting a dev involved to write a custom script.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since the image and the surrounding container with the applied effect are separate objects you can only "catch" them together by using the rendered results on the screen, an image file etc. Your current workflow is already fine. You might be able to streamline it a bit by using scripts in Photoshop to automate certain steps.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines