• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from Acrobat XI to Acrobat DC on Windows 7, and now any new PDFs I create display with a generic PDF icon rather than a thumbnail preview of the file.  Files created in Acrobat XI are displaying correctly (see screenshot).  Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a resolution?PDF-Icon-Screenshot.jpg

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Hi djbilly

This was fixed in our update released yesterday. Make sure you are on the latest update by visiting Help > Check for updates.

Next, to enable thumbnail previews go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 312 Replies 312
Participant ,
May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hannahd80828989 wrote:

Thanks for posting this!  I have been searching the internet for a fix to this problem.  This worked like a charm.  Thank you

Which method actually work for you? Could you be clear on which one gave the result that worked for you? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohh yeah!!
Foxit really work!
thanks for the tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally went back and installed Foxit reader to get my thumbnails back. Thank you for this work-around. It was quite simple.

I was really hoping that Adobe would have done something more about this issue by now I hate that I had to download this extra program and have it taking up space on my work machine's already very limited drive. I cannot imagine what kind of programming snag they must have come across to remove something so useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate!

Worked a treat, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of Thumbnails has increased my work time finding correct files.  I used to be able to visually scan a file filled with dozens of thumbnails and find the correct file quickly.  Now I must read the description on each. This "upgrade" is a step back.  This flaw needs to be fixed !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The remark of Anubha of april 9 made me very angry...'amazing new look'. Think you're funny??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was reeeeally hoping this was something I could fix with a setting. Adobe, the removal of the previews is going to make my job a WHOLE LOT slower I have to upload many scanned documents every day and having to open every single one to see what it is before I upload (because the file names are automatic and meaningless from the scanner) is going to be a major problem. Please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Foxit reader. WOW!

Deleted Acrobat DC..........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Job : Uninstalling is sadly the best solution !!!...

Here's adobe's thinking way :

- Users have been shouting loud that they want thumbnails for pdf files for many years, how should we fix this ?

- Let's remove thumbnails ! Our new design is financially so more important than user experience...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We had to remove the thumbnail preview functionality from Acrobat and Reader DC for technical reasons. We know there are users who value it but certain design considerations forced us to make this change."

I just purchase Acrobat DC.

Due to "Customer Service" reasons,  Adobe immediately must find a solution to this issue.  With out the preview, I am lost into hundreds of .pdf files.

There is not reason for me to purchase this program and have to install "Foxit Reader" in order to make it functional. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very weird .. Adobe is now following Microsoft policy which is (launching a new version not related to the old one - make the use lost)

but Adobe deals with artist maybe the artists are looking for what's new in their work and approach .. but certainly they don't want to change their tools from version to another every day. specially when the new tool is downgrading their expectations.

another point Adobe have to deal with: the artists have a "Eidetic memory" they deal with designs (icons, Thumbnails) more than a just silly file name.

Acrobat is ignoring that important point they disable .PSD .AI .PDF .EPS thumbnails over windows explorer ... and guess what!! they disable it over the file opening dialogue in the associated software. -for what reason?- for technical issues !!!!

who cares about technical issues .. Adobe deal with technical issues and we deal with our Money we pay in that software.and we can wait until solving that "technical issues"!!

the problem is Acrobat DC have stopped my third party software that shows all .PSD .AI and .PDF thumbnails over explorer, like MysticThumbs and Adobe PDF fixes!!! simply we say in such situation (They never mercy and Don't let other mercy)

we don't have to accept what ... Their technical issues certainly will reflect to or financial issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if we are able to decide what is better for us? Thumbnails or "technical stability"?

I'm doing the Foxit Reader way in order to get back the thumbnails.

Bad move this one guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to each and every one of you for this thread! Especially you dear Timothy!! You all have saved me countless amounts of time with this solution! Seriously Adobe - Get with the program on this one!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Had the same (and really sad) trouble with Acrobat DC.

How I seem to have solved it:

1. Installed Adobe Reader 8 (used this version as I knew the thumbnails feature was working well before)

2. Cleared thumbnails cache

3. Assigned PDF files to Reader 8 (open with - choose default program)

4. Reassigned PDF files to Acrobat DC

Thumbs were back!

I modified and saved one of these files with DC => The generated file had the expected thumbnail!

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How I seem to have solved it:

1. Installed Adobe Reader 8 (used this version as I knew the thumbnails feature was working well before)

This for who it works for is good advice. Something like that seemed to work for me in past versions. In this version it did not.

The way I got it work here I don't understand why but it really seem to to the trick is this.

1. Install Power PDF Trail

2. Set it as the default PDF viewer

3. Set Acrobat DC back to default viewer

4. Uninstall Power PDF Trail.

I then restarted a couple times, and thumbnails are seem to be there to stay. Does anybody know why this could be the case? I would like to know more, but for now I am psyched about having thumbnails in DC!!! Hope this helps others. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am sorry to say that the previous solution I posted does not work, I did not mean to miss-direct anyone. I just got excited about a solution. Simply, I was not aware that the thumbnails cached, and new ones will not have the thumbnail if created. My apologies. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes very bad of adobe! very very bad! such a powerful software! and little thing like thumbnails cannot do! so bad!

for me installing FOX IT solution worked fine

cool thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround has been suggested from someone on the social channels even for Acrobat DC:

Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LoriAUC wrote:

This workaround has been suggested from someone on the social channels even for Acrobat DC:

Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails

Hi, did this actually work for you with Acrobat DC? Because that fix you suggest is made my the good people (Leo) at Directory Opus. There support guys actually were the first ones that I discussed it with. If that is not clear I can explain more. That fix that you are making reference to, was out before and worked with older version of Acrobat(pre DC). Here is my original thread with those guys:Acrobat Fix - Directory Opus Resource Centre Did this actually work for you? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fixes predate Acrobat DC by some years and are broken by the DC installation.

I've tested a number of configurations and ended up rolling back to Reader XI at home.

Some years ago, before Reader 9, where it got fixed for many people, responses from forums implied that Adobe considered the issue to be a Windows problem and not their job to fix. Then, they fixed it and although a few people needed to use 3rd party fixes, it was ok for ages. Now, it's broken again with Adobe DC and we're seeing that it doesn't seem to be a priority. Which is a pity because when you have an extensive library of PDF's with readily identifiable cover pages, the ability to browse thumbnails visually, directly in explorer, is a really effective way to quickly zero in on what you're looking for, without having to remember a filename. It ties in with the fundamental reason for using a GUI and one would have thought, would be considered a dynamic and eminently marketable aspect of the format. Maybe not after all, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The individual that I mention in my post (link to Twitter included) found that it worked for Acrobat DC, which is why I posted it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lori,
if it is Adobe Thumb Fix link, it is old fixer which works werry good for Acrobat/Reader XI and lower... if I following you good, but there is several problems still to be solved.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi lori!

the fix you're suggesting is outdated (the last one was from december 2014 - DC is around since april this year). i've tested it some weeks ago with no positive result!

it was working with former versions up to XI as pctechtv stated rightly...

the only "fix" that is doing it is using foxit as told above here in this discussion...

good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
1. yes foxit bring it back but there is a square thumb and inside is preview of the file, than I'we installed Reader XI and everything is back to normal, PDF was in right dimensions like before, i didn't need to make default application to DC, it was already OK because Acrobat DC is primary app for viewing PDF's. I'we tried this several times. WORKS

2. except one thing, Browsers can't recognize the default previewer for pdf's, then the default is always last installed like XI, X,9 or 8 version of Reader. I didn't found a way to tell browser to use newer previewer, don't know how; I  try replacing versions of nppdf32.dll (c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\Browser\) and put newer. Affected is all IE, FF and Chrome. So if you want to view PDF's in the future releases in browser, well there is a slight problem, you have always old preview plugin inside, except FF were you can tell to use outside opened PDF.

It is always a fire extinguisher not a solution to put fire away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, Found a small simple little viewer for those like myself need to view PDF thumbnails.

PDF Preview for windows

I installed this changed the file association to pdf viewer for windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines