• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from Acrobat XI to Acrobat DC on Windows 7, and now any new PDFs I create display with a generic PDF icon rather than a thumbnail preview of the file.  Files created in Acrobat XI are displaying correctly (see screenshot).  Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a resolution?PDF-Icon-Screenshot.jpg

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Hi djbilly

This was fixed in our update released yesterday. Make sure you are on the latest update by visiting Help > Check for updates.

Next, to enable thumbnail previews go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 312 Replies 312
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they cared about customer service they would fix it for all versions especially Windows 10 64 bit and it would be enabled by default.  Just use Foxit Reader, so much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly didn't even know it was an issue for 32-bit machines! Truly, amazingly, lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hi,

With the October update of Acrobat DC released last week, we have added back the support of PDF Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer for 32 bit systems.

Please note that by default, it is disabled. To enable the same, please go to Edit -> Preferences -> General and turn ON the check box "Enable PDF Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer"

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Soni"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I opened Adobe DC, went to Edit -> Preferences -> General. There is no check box to "Enable PDF Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer". In fact, I checked all the other preference tabs for a check box. None. I'm using Win7 64bit. Is that why I don't have the option? If the answer to that is YES, my next question is WHY NOT? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I'm using 64bit and I can't see that option either.

Why just the 32bit users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for the feedback. In a future update of Reader / Acrobat DC, we are looking to add back back the support of PDF Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer for 64 bit systems as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Atul_Puri re your thread item 119 suggesting Adobe will remedy the thumbnail problem for 64 bit windows.  I,  (like many of the other effected users) heavily rely on Windows thumbnails to identify the content of pdf files.  For me it is mainly engineering drawings.  I have spent considerable time trying the various fixes and without success.  The loss of pdf thumbnails in windows has a significant negative effect on my productivity.

Could you please advise timing for Adobe's remedy and if it will work for Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any plans when 64bit update for this issue is coming? Because we have here only 64bit Win7 Pro systems.

With best regards..

Timo Pesonen, Quality Manager

Konepaja Häkkinen Oy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with the others... I don't know who thought it was a good idea to remove this, but they should be told that this was a very bad idea.

When is the fix for the 64 bit version coming? I still don't see it in the latest version? Please post an update.

I guess I will also be installing the FoxIt Reader soon too then.

Thanks,

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it would take them so little to re-introduce thumbnail previews in the 64 bit version... yet, nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great to have this feature back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with latest remarks : why fix the thumbnail problem only for 32 bit systems,

I guess, by now, most users are working on 64bit Windows.

Adobe is always sooooo slow to react, that's a pity.

You will loose customers to Foxit, I use both Acrobat DC and Foxit Phantom.

The latter is better right now (more responsive, more user-friendly and no thumbnails bug)

If nothing changes, I won't renew my Acrobat DC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’ve already installed DC, then the Adobe forum thread you reference has a work around for the thumbnail issue. It requires installing other (free) PDF software though.

They recommended installing “Foxit Reader,” and setting that as the default program, which then results in thumbnails showing on all PDF files. You can then set Adobe Reader DC as the default again, but the thumbnails remain.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1812515
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad day for ADOBE.

This is what happens when managers are far away from users.

I am looking for an alternative.

Maybe see you when thumbnails are back.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just decided to uninstall Adobe DC and set Nitro PDF to open pdfs.  works great!  My issue wasn't so much the thumbnail as it was the file preview in File Explorer.  I use this daily as a way of not opening the file, but still being able to read the front page contents which is adequate for my work.  The update to DC removed this ability.  I had Nitro anyway for use as a print-to-pdf tool so one less tool on my computer.  Sayonara Adobe- has been a good 20 years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, greetings from Brazil. I had a acrobat XI Pro on my PC with thumbnail installed. I have 11 TB in books in several HDs. M ost of my books aren't identified with correct title names, for this reason thumbnail is fundamental for me. This week I received Adobe notification to update my XI version and for my surprise I received the new DC version, much more cooler than XI, but as Adobe always do with a new product without the thumbnail. I think I solved the problem (at least mine) the PC will be heavier than  before, but functions until the thumbnail to DC version appear.

After install the new Acrobat DC (you will see thumbnails will vanish), than just re-install the XI pro again, you will have the two versions installed XI and DC, restart the PC, and automatically will mix the two versions, and the thumbnails will appear again. I'm saved Thanks heaven thumbnail exist. Good luck you all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well like others I did the foxit fix. But hmmmmmm now that I have it maybe I'll explore it. Nothing like sending us running to a competitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

foxtit would be my next option, if i hadn't solve the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS BEYOND UNACCEPTABLE THIS MAKES ADOBE USELESS.  Your programmers are  IDIOTS.  Every time a "new" but never improved version comes out you cram is garbage that no one will use and break the function of the most useful options. I swear you must have a circle jerk and and plan on how you can design the most useless aggravating piece of garbage you and and pass it off as something everyone needs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand your frustration mantis01. Likewise.

Switch to FotIt like I did. I've been using it for a few weeks now. The PDF printer offers more options and smaller file size. The Extra Large Icons are back. The task bar is personalised (my problem with Adobe is the "rotate left" was on the right and the "rotate right" was on the left .. Americans ....) so all in all it seems much better.

I haven't purchased the editor software but maybe later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX IT, ALL I'M HEARING IS EXCUSES.

YOU TOOK IT OUT, NOW TAKE THAT HEXIDECIMAL CODE AND PUT IT BACK IN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2015 Nov 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, dear users, but the tips I had gave here of mixing versions "suddenly didn't function any more, so, I came back to zero stage, no Thumbnails. Going to Plan B: Foxtit reader ( I hope it function better than Adobe DC). I have too much books in many HDS, and can't survive in my work without thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software is continuously changed and adapted to suit the user - in this case NOT!!! Adobe DC with no thumbnails is a problem that Adobe needs to fix and soon!! Thanks for all the comments posted, I have chosen to keep Adobe but have reverted to version XI and installed the plugin as I had before to work with 64-bit AND I ticked the manual update box so until this is fixed, no more updates. Please Adobe, please listen to your users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We would like to let you know that support for PDF Thumbnails on 32 bit system is already available with the October release of Acrobat DC and we are working on adding the support of the same for 64 bit system

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good news, I'm waiting for 64 bits, while this doesn't come, foxtit reader is the option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good news. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines