Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flattening in Acrobat DC

Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Full Version of Acrobat Pro DC. I have a form and filled the entries. I added comments and cross out some text. I am trying to flatten the form and comments. I tried the Preflight falttening and did not work (still selectable of comments after renaming). I tried Optimize and it says "This PDF document contains an Adobe XML form. Such files cannot be optimized". Can someone please suggest flattening method.  Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

No, this is irrelevant since this isn't an ordinary PDF file. It is a XFA forms file which is not conventional PDF forms objects.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this helps

https://answers.acrobatusers.com/flatten-editable-pdf-file-in-adobe-acrobat-dc-q285232.aspx

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is irrelevant since this isn't an ordinary PDF file. It is a XFA forms file which is not conventional PDF forms objects.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, how would you do this for a PDF file then?  I can't find an option for it in Acrobat's settings, distiller, pre-flight (presuming that its purpose is to print a PDF to a PDF from Acrobat), or optimizer.  Bluebeam makes flattening comments so easy that it's annoying to use Acrobat, but I still do - mostly to digitally sign documents using a digital ID certificate (per AATL).  I don't want a bunch of stray, editable annotations, comments, objects, and form fields in the document.  I want a flattened, clean document.  An answer to that would be helpful and relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, I've printed PDF files to Adobe PDF.  Lots of folks cringe at this notion, and I rarely do it.  The result is a pretty useless PDF to some, but the printing process does indeed flatten the file.  Depending on your needs, this info may be helpful.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing to PDF is "refrying", not flattening.

You should read this document: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A68be905e-5698-4cd4-9a87-61e7...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar need.  Is it just not possible to flatten a completed Adobe XML form?  Using a method other than the Print to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, and to make it more painful, Adobe show an error that it won't allow Print to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way to flatten and XFA PDF without printing, if it is a static XFA.  Do you know whether or not it is a dynamic or static form?

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea.

Many thanks, Mary

[Email signature and personal info removed by moderator as per forum policy.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines