• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font is faint when I convert a MS Word document into a PDF file

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document that is written in MS Word. The font for my MS word document is LM Roman 12 because I want the document to look like a LATEX one. When I convert this MS word file into a pdf file, a strange thing happens. If I open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader, then the font becomes thin and faint. However, if I open the file with a browser, the font looks a lot clearer. Does anybody know why this is happening? How can I make the font look thick and clear even when a person opens my file with Adobe Acrobat Reader? 

I attached sample files to this post. I installed open-text LM Roman 12 to my computer because it is not one of the default fonts. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe the process used to create the PDF from your Word file?  There are a number of ways this can be done.  I find the best results are achieved by using the PDF Maker (which is the Acrobat ribbon in Word).  This method allows one to specify some aspects of the conversion, including the embedding of the Word doc's fonts.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

++ Adding to the discussion

Would youmind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat /Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sue you have the latest version 21.07.20091 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once.

Also for more information about creating the PDF from MS office please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/how-to/create-pdf-files-word-excel-website.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where did you obtain the font that you are using?

In actuality, the font in your PDF is just fine, but what seems to be happening is that as you zoom smaller, different routines are being used to render the font on the screen. Acrobat is honouring the hinting built into the font on smaller sizes, while the browsers do not. So the result you're experiencing is the reverse of what you're thinking... the font is getting fatter in the browser and becoming less accurate.

So, is there anything you can do? No. The font has a very skinny stroke and is problematic from the get go. There are only so many pixels on the screen!
That being said, if you used a OTF (Postscript-based) or Type 1 font, you might try and see if there is a TrueType version, as the hinting in TrueType works differently. That MAY help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines