• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts & examples of said fonts Adobe Acrobat XI Pro

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a list of the fonts included with Adobe Acrobat XI Pro & the corresponding examples of these included fonts.

I have multiple documents that I am editing the verbiage and the fonts on them, e.g. futanaital are substituted with Minion pro and looks horrible...

I just spent 2 hours chatting with adobe help and being bounced around before being told, go to the live forums and they will help with this question.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

No fonts, other than for internal use of Acrobat itself were bundled with Acrobat 11.

To edit any text within a PDF file, you must install the font in which that text is formatted on your system prior to running Acrobat to edit that text. Note that this is true even if the font is embedded within the PDF file.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad Adobe tech support thinks so highly of us volunteers in the forums!

Acrobat XI is fairly old so my memory of its details like fonts is going to be limited. But here is some basic info about how Acrobat handles fonts.

When it's installed, generic sans and sans serif fonts are installed called Adobe Sans and Adobe Serif. They look nearly identical to Arial and Times New Roman and are the default substitution fonts Acrobat uses when a PDF doesn't have the original fonts embedded into it.

If you're editing a PDF, Acrobat's editing tool should show all of the fonts that are installed on your computer so that you can use any of them. But you'll need to embed those fonts into the PDF before you can complete it. In today's current version (DC:2019), you do that through a utility in the Preflight panel, but I can't recall how we did it years ago in XI.

If the PDF you're editing was created correctly by the original author, the fonts he/she used should have been embedded into the PDF for you to use now, too. However, it's not usually a full complete set of the font's characters (it's "subsetted") so you might not be able to type less-used characters, such as a capital Z.

Acrobat XI's editing capabilities were not as good as those in more recent versions.

If you can, tell us a bit more about what you're trying to do with the PDF, purpose, and the end result you want. We might be able to give you some better workarounds and methods.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all and thank you for the quick responses. The answers still do not fulfill what I'm seeking.

I have adobe acrobat XI (AAXI)

I'm familiar with basic editing in AAXI.

The dropdown in content editing>edit text & images>format>font dropdown list shows the attribute for the font highlighted. Two examples are Futanaital and Highland Gothic FLF. When I edit this text, use either example, a warning yellow triangle with exclamation point stating "The original font Highland Gothic FLF is not available or can't be used in editing. Acrobat is using the font Helvetica Bold in its place"

This font dropdown has numerous probably @ least 100 fonts starting with Abadi MT Condensed Ext to Zapfino.

I'm seeking the list of these fonts and examples of them, which I am calling the standard fonts with AAXI because I have not added, deleted, or changed these "standard" fonts. I seek this list with examples so that I can eyeball which font looks best to me and I'll change all the text to that.

After spending hours chatting with adobe support which by the way are hours of my life that I will never get back, I googled and found this https://www.fonts.com/font/adobe

it shows the attributes in a manner that fulfills my need but the attributes are not available in my AAXI after a quick comparison with my dropdown list.

Is there a list of fonts and examples of these fonts for AAXI?

Is there a quick and easy way to get and inject the fonts that I seek into AAXI? e.g. Futanaital, Highland Gothic FLF

Thanks again-E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please re-read Adobe Staff enginner Dov Isaacs wrote about fonts and Acrobat:

There are no "standard" fonts installed with Acrobat.

Acrobat's font dropdown menus are picking up the fonts that are already installed on your computer by other software, not by Acrobat.

erici73232247  wrote

When I edit this text, use either example, a warning yellow triangle with exclamation point stating "The original font Highland Gothic FLF is not available or can't be used in editing. Acrobat is using the font Helvetica Bold in its place"

You're getting this message because you don't have the Highland Gothic FLF font installed on your computer.

If you want to edit the PDF and use Highland Gothic FLF, then you'll have to install that font on your computer first and then edit the PDF.

erici73232247  wrote

... which I am calling the standard fonts with AAXI because I have not added, deleted, or changed these "standard" fonts.

This is incorrect.

There are no standard fonts with AAXI or other versions of Acrobat.

You're seeing the fonts installed by other software on your computer...from Windows, MS Office, etc.

But not by Acrobat.

If you'd like to see what these fonts look like, then make a temporary document in Word, type some text, and format it with any of the fonts in Word's font menu.

A font is a font.

If the font is installed on your computer, then you can use that font in any of your software programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fonts, other than for internal use of Acrobat itself were bundled with Acrobat 11.

To edit any text within a PDF file, you must install the font in which that text is formatted on your system prior to running Acrobat to edit that text. Note that this is true even if the font is embedded within the PDF file.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all and thank you for the quick responses. The answers still do not fulfill what I'm seeking.

I have adobe acrobat XI (AAXI)

I'm familiar with basic editing in AAXI.

The dropdown in content editing>edit text & images>format>font dropdown list shows the attribute for the font highlighted. Two examples are Futanaital and Highland Gothic FLF. When I edit this text, use either example, a warning yellow triangle with exclamation point stating "The original font Highland Gothic FLF is not available or can't be used in editing. Acrobat is using the font Helvetica Bold in its place"

This font dropdown has numerous probably @ least 100 fonts starting with Abadi MT Condensed Ext to Zapfino.

I'm seeking the list of these fonts and examples of them, which I am calling the standard fonts with AAXI because I have not added, deleted, or changed these "standard" fonts. I seek this list with examples so that I can eyeball which font looks best to me and I'll change all the text to that.

After spending hours chatting with adobe support which by the way are hours of my life that I will never get back, I googled and found this https://www.fonts.com/font/adobe

it shows the attributes in a manner that fulfills my need but the attributes are not available in my AAXI after a quick comparison with my dropdown list.

Is there a list of fonts and examples of these fonts for AAXI?

Is there a quick and easy way to get and inject the fonts that I seek into AAXI? e.g. Futanaital, Highland Gothic FLF

Thanks again-E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She is asking for a visual sample of the fonts that ARE included in Adobe Acrobat. I have the same request. Rather than sift through 100 fonts in a list, is there a way to see what the fonts look like? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

#1:

As stated by Adobe engineer Dov Isaacs above, no fonts are included with Adobe Acrobat.

Since this has been stated a few times in this discussion but seems to be missed, I'll try to state it differently:

NO FONTS are included with Adobe Acrobat.

#2:

Therefore, the fonts you see in your drop-down font lists are what is on your computer. They are not Adobe fonts, Adobe doesn't control them, and Adobe can't provide you a sample list of them.

#3:

If you want to see what your fonts look like, you have several options:

• On Windows, locate the C:/Windows/Fonts folder, view the list, and double-click them to see a sample of that individual font.
  • On Mac, locate your font library folder and do the same.
  • Purchase and install a font management program that will let you view many fonts at one time. Most of these programs will also let you see the full set of characters on each font, as well as other  details.
  • On Mac, use Apple's Font Book to view your fonts and their samples.
  • In most recent versions of MS Office, the font menus will give you a short sample of the font using the text that's selected with the cursor. Adobe InDesign does this, too, as well as other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines