• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Form fields not recognised in Adobe Acrobat when exporting interactive PDF from InDesign

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use InDesign to edit hundreds of forms. Since I started using it a couple of years ago, I've had issues when I export an interactive PDF from InDesign in that Adobe Acrobat never recognises any of the form fields. This results in me having to manually add all form fields so they are editable which is extremely inefficient. 

I have confirmed that the Forms and Media radio button is selected under General when exporting from InDesign. The settings in Acrobat when I go to Prepare form states that fields aren't detected, even though form field recognition is on. When contacting support, the agent indicated that the PDFs were flat upon being exported and so Acrobat couldn't recognise any formatting. Is there a way to change the settings in InDesign so that the formatting is retained and fields can be recognised in Acrobat? Due to the number of fields, I don't want to add them manually in either application. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a long-standing bug where fields created in ID are not recognized in Acrobat. So you have to do all of your field work in either ID or in Acrobat. You can't start in ID and then finish it off in Acrobat later on, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You must watch Episodes 52 & 53 of this podcast to learn the best practices that help Acrobat recognize fields:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-indesigner/id96779509

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines