• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Form Fields with same name are merging and I don't want them to. Please help. [2019]

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Organize Pages feature in Acrobat DC to add additional documents to an existing PDF. When organizing pages, I am getting a pop up that says "Any form fields that have the same name in the merged documents are now merged into one field. If you want the values in these fields to be unique, then you need to create a PDF portfolio." After reviewing the document, I see that several of the pages have changed the data to match what is on one of the first pages. I would like all the pages to remain as they are.

I just want to put several unique PDFs that all have unique names as well as unique data, into one PDF.

Please help me. Thank you.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

I discovered this change as well. I found a suggestion somewhere else that said you can flatten the fields on the forms and then you're able to combine them into one pdf file without the fields merging. To flatten the fields, you have to use PDF Optimizer. Go to: File > Save as Other > PDF Optimizer. When it opens up, select Discard Objects in the left-hand column, check “Flatten form fields”, and click OK.

I tried this on two forms that I needed to combine into one file and it no longer merged

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If form fields have the same name, they have the same value.

To make them all unique, give them each a different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to use a form template and JavaScript to bring the fata extracted from the form into you new nig PDF and sfd a mew page fo the next form data.

Or, you could move all of the forms into a tan delimited file and then import each row into a new spawned page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered this change as well. I found a suggestion somewhere else that said you can flatten the fields on the forms and then you're able to combine them into one pdf file without the fields merging. To flatten the fields, you have to use PDF Optimizer. Go to: File > Save as Other > PDF Optimizer. When it opens up, select Discard Objects in the left-hand column, check “Flatten form fields”, and click OK.

I tried this on two forms that I needed to combine into one file and it no longer merged the form fields together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you wanted everything to duplicate but two fields?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I was looking for this fix forever and this worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for sharing this, saved me lots of headache.

was finally able to bypass all the garbled text and images when trying to combine pdfs. cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank youuuuuuu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new job I think I spent over an hour and taking a break because I was so frustrated with this!

I just tried what you said and BOOM, worked.

Thank you so much for your help!

-Ashley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I had to file by a certain time and I was panicking not knowing what to do, and your comment worked, you saved my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this works.  An hour of frustration is over!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this solution, truly saved my day and many ahead. As others described, the problem was incredibly frustrating. Cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to store PDF forms, merge them in a PDF Portfolio.

The fields with the same names and their data will remain untouched.

If you want to store their data, go to : "Prepare Form" : "More" menu : "Merge Data Files into Spreesheet"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another "fix" you can do. Before you combine open them all in a browser. Got into each pdf and hit print and then overwrite the orignial. The pdf document will no longer be writeable and the data is locked in. After that you can combine away as there are no more field names left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nyet, there are potentially two options that actually work:

1.  upload your forms to an online pdf unlocker like I love pdf and then joint the unlocked pdfs as you would have originally.

2.  Alternatively, use a pdf printing program like DoPDF to "flatten," i.e. make the files uneditable by pressing print to PDF, saving into your folder, and then and then join the "flattened" pdfs as you would have originally.

Also, an ease of use pdf merging program is PDF tools 1.3, Sheel Khanna, 2006.  Respectfully, the Adobe engineers left everyone hanging with this problem.  Hell, I'm a literature major.  To paraphrase Star Trek's Dr. McCoy, when he time traveled to the 20th century, upon observing the state of medical science, "we're dealing with midievalism here."  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines