• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting errors with scan of Japanese text printed vertically when trying to convert to text

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Japanese text printed in (original Japanese language) books is printed vertically, right to left. I scanned some pages from a Japanese books into a Acrobat PDF.  When I try to convert that scan to text (so that I can get it to be read aloud or can edit it ),  Adobe Acrobat only gives me "unknown errors". I've also tried setting the PDF language to Japanese. I tried the "recognize text", and "enhance text" options. They all give errors.

Is it not possible to scan Japanese language books text with vertical text, into an OCR so that the scan be recognized into the same original Japanese text?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , PDF , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it's a complicated problem so it probably won't have any official adobe functionality update anytime soon. (and such a specific use case. ) My main goal was to get Japanese text into a digital/electronic format from a physical book and I don't know Japanese well enough to retype in the same Japanese text manually (it's pretty hard to retype Japanese if you don't know your kanji etc). so I was hoping to scan/convert to get the Japanese text digitally.

Perhaps it's odd to post my findings on using other (non-Adobe) software as a workaround but I just discovered that I can use Google Translate on my phone, so here are my steps. The results were actually pretty good so I will post here because I think it could be helpful to others. I did the following:

Using Google Translate on my phone, setting the language of Japanese to English.

I clicked on the Camera option and pointed my phone camera at the physical Japanese book and Google Translate will "auto-translate that text to English" and render that in English on my phone screen.

Once you're on that camera screen seeing the translation, you can click on a downward chevron next to the English language option at the top of the app, which will give you the "Show original text" toggle option. Toggle that on, and it will then show you the digital Japanese text. You can then select that text. Note that you'll have to select from Right to left (in the same order of the text). Dont use  "Select all" because Google Translate will select from Left to Right (so your Japanese text won't be in the proper order).

I had to select a couple lines at a time and then copied/pasted into a Note in sections (to get a page's worth).

It sounds laborious, but it's still infinitely faster than actually manually re-typing the text in Japanese.

Good luck to you all!

And if anyone does figure out how to get an Adobe scan to work of a Japanese book in vertical text going right to left, please still post here 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines