• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Extracted pages from an adobe pdf don't retain the information

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lengthy document containing text fields, calculated fields, drop down boxes and 'tick' boxes throughout.  I wanted to extract a selection of pages using a script on button, but as this wasn't possible, I duplicated the required pages at the end of the document and then use a button to extract the 'new' selected consecutive pages from the end of the document.  When I initially duplicated the pages, it warned me about duplicate field names, but everything seemed fine.  Any info input throughout the form, was automatically copied to the pages at the end.  The problem I have is that when extracting the pages from the end of the document, certain drop down boxes are blank in the new extracted document.

If I extract the original pages manually, then all the fields are there, it's only the new duplicated pages that seem to be losing the content from certain fields.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction to try and fix this error?

Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm where the missing information comes from?

It seems that by breaking the pages apart, some of the information is loosing its source, hence the blank fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric, I complete my original form and then the information is duplicated into additional new pages at the end of the document.  When I view them in the original document, all the information is there.  The fields at the end of the document have the same field names as the fileds at the start of the document, so when I change a field on page 10 for example, it automatically updates on page 20, but when I extract page 20, the drop down fields are blank, but all the other text fields seem OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What script does you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it's a simple script attached to a button:

this.extractPages(26,31);

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't duplicates pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, I have already duplicated the pages and sections from the main document and copied them at the end.  The original document was 26 pages and I regularly need to extract a selection of pages.  I copied the required pages to the end of my document and saved this as a new template.  When I fill in the form each time now, all 26 pages, I then press the button on the fiurst page containing the extract script, this extracts pages 27 to 32.  The extracted pages are a snapshot of the whole document, but just taking the important bits.  Most of the information still appears in the extracted pages, aparf from a selection of drop down boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using some kind of script to copy the values from one field to another? Could you share the original file with us, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not using any type of script to duplicate things.  I have a document and I wanted to use a button to extract specific pages.  I was told this couldn't be done (easily) and that they pages would need to be consecutive to be able to extract with a button.  I manually extracted the pages I needed into a new file, I then inserted and merged these pages into the same document at the end.  A pop up message warned me that the fields with the same names would be merged, which is what I wanted.  I now have a larger document with extra pages at the end.  When I populate the document with data, using various drop downs and tick boxes etc, all the information appears in the pages at the end of the document as the fields have the same name, so if I change a drop down at the beginning of the document, it is reflected in the duplicated field at the end of the document.   I created a button with the script mentioned previously to extract the selected pages from the end of the document into a new file, which works fine, but the information in my drop down boxes disappears in the extracted pages.  I hope this makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sort of hacking around forms is really not the way anyone was expected to work. Forms have some info in the page and other info global to the document, so the potential to mess up is huge, especially once you are moving pages between documents which already have fields in both.

What people WERE expected to do was simply export form data and work with it. The form data can be imported into a different PDF with (some of) the same fields to populate a different arrangement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All information of the dropdowns are removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL of the drop downs on some of the pages are blank when I extract the pages.  There may be the odd 1 field that is still populated, but the majority are blank.

It seems to be the ones where there is a long list of drop downs eg. drop down 1, drop down 2, drop down 3 (up to 10) but the ones that seem to be individual such as client name "Title1" and "Title2" which is usually Mr for title one and Mrs for title 2.  Where I have a list its where that drop down box is applicable to client 1 or client 2.  So the drop down may be called "drop down1" and the data in the drop down box will either be "Client1" or "Client2" or "Both" but I am baffled as to why it isn't keeping the data when I extract the pages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have checked all the properties for the drop down field where the drop down box IS populated in the extracted document and I can see no differences to the fields that are not populated when extracted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines