Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide/show checkbox based on another checkbox

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am very new to Adobe, and currently creating a fillable form for intern work.

Is there a way to hide/show a checkbox based on whether or not another checkbox is checked/unchecked?

I want "box2" to show only if "box1" is checked. If "box1" is unchecked, "box2" should be hidden.

I've been looking around the forum and elsewhere, but can't really seem to find a solution. 

Additional info: "box1" is "pre-checked", so that when colleagues open the file, "box1" will already be checked (they're supposed to uncheck boxes themselves). So when they remove the check / uncheck "box1", "box2" will become hidden. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , JavaScript , PDF forms , Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

You can use this code as Mouse UP event of CheckBox1:

this.getField("CheckBox2").display = event.target.value == "Off" ? display.hidden : display.visible;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say you have a checkbox named CheckBox1 and another one named CheckBox2, and you want to hide CheckBox2. The following script, when used as a "MouseUp" action for CheckBox1 will do this:

if (event.target.value == "Yes") {
    this.getField("CheckBox2").display = display.visible;
}
else {
    this.getField("CheckBox2").display = display.hidden;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl,

Thank you. This seems to "almost" do the job. When I uncheck "CheckBox1", "CheckBox2" becomes hidden (which is exactly what I wanted). But when I check "CheckBox1" again, "CheckBox2" remains hidden. Is there a way to make it so that "visibility" of "CheckBox2" constantly depends on whether or not "CheckBox1" is checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the export value of the first field is indeed "Yes".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use this code as Mouse UP event of CheckBox1:

this.getField("CheckBox2").display = event.target.value == "Off" ? display.hidden : display.visible;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your inputs. Nesa Nuranis suggestion does exactly what I wanted 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nesa,

Thank you for the above. This worked for half of my form, wondering if you might be able to help figure out why the same will not work on the other half.

So i have two checkboxes 'checkbox1' and 'checkbox2'. 'checkbox1' is related to 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' and 'checkbox2' is related to 'checkboxD', 'checkboxE', 'checkboxF'.

Your code above worked for 'checkbox1' : 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' but will not work for 'checkbox2' : 'checkboxD', 'checkboxE', 'checkboxF'

I am very new to this and self-learning as I go. Appreciate your guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard the above, I was able to identify the error.

However I am having another issue where if I select 'checkbox1' and uncheck it to then select 'checkbox2', 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' do not revert back to hidden status and remain visible.

How would I code checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' and 'checkboxD', 'checkboxE', 'checkboxF' to change to visible when 'checkbox1' and 'checkbox2' are selected, respectively and back to hidden if they are unchecked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the script you are using, and where do you use the script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nesa,

I want to mention 'checkbox1' and 'checkbox2' have the same field name 'Boxes' with export values 'checkbox1' and 'checkbox2'.

In 'checkbox1' I created a 'MouseUp' event and 'Run a JavaScript' action as follows:

this.getField("checkboxA").display = event.target.value == "Off" ? display.hidden : display.visible;

this.getField("checkboxB").display = event.target.value == "Off" ? display.hidden : display.visible;

this.getField("checkboxC").display = event.target.value == "Off" ? display.hidden : display.visible;

In 'checkbox2' I created a 'MouseUp' event and 'Run a JavaScript' action as follows:

this.getField("checkboxD").display = event.target.value == "Off" ? display.hidden : display.visible;

this.getField("checkboxE").display = event.target.value == "Off" ? display.hidden : display.visible;

this.getField("checkboxF").display = event.target.value == "Off" ? display.hidden : display.visible;

When I tick 'checkbox1' : 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' become visible. When I untick 'checkbox1' : 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' become hidden. The same happens to 'checkboxD', 'checkboxE', 'checkboxF' when I tick/untick 'checkbox2', respectively. 

However if I ticked 'checkbox1' : and made visible 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC'  but changed selection and ticked 'checkbox2' resulting in 'checkbox1' becoming unticked with 'checkboxD', 'checkboxE', 'checkboxF' now made visible but 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' also remain visible.

I've also attached the sample file here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are not using calculation script, you need to add script to each checkbox to hide others checkboxes.

Try now:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1_k9vLeLKwWuugqUG3f3e9E48oc4yaR7n 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nesa!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nesa,

A quick follow up: If 'checkbox1' : 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' are ticked but then 'checkbox1' is unticked, is there a code I can add to what was previously provided that would reset 'checkboxA', 'checkboxB', 'checkboxC' to a blank/unchecked state?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, add this script to the script already in checkbox1:

if(event.target.value == "Off"){
this.getField("CheckboxA").checkThisBox(0,false);
this.getField("CheckboxB").checkThisBox(0,false);
this.getField("CheckboxC").checkThisBox(0,false);}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you, and if it was text field instead of checkboxA, checkboxB, checkboxC (connected to Checkbox1), what verbiage would be placed instead of .checkThisBox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I broke my own rule that I teach my students: Don't test for "Yes",  check for not "Off". The reason for this is that you can redefine the "On" state, and it defaults to "Yes", the "Off" value cannot be redefined, it is always "Off". This means to create code that always works, forget that there is an "On" or "Yes" state, and only test for the opposite. This will always work. Why did I make this mistake? Because I never redefine the "On" state, so I can rely on it being "Yes". With that in mind, you can do the following (I understand that you already have a working system, but just in case you will dive deeper into JavaScript programming) for the custom validation script: 

if (event.target.value == "Off") {
    this.getField("CheckBox2").display = display.hidden;
}
else {
    this.getField("CheckBox2").display = display.visible;
}

As you can see, I am now testing for the "Off" state, and I flipped the two cases around. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My question is a bit similar to this one, hence I have "piggy-backed" here. I have a listings where more than one selection can be made and  output copied to a text field. However, it only copies over one selection and leaves text field blank if more than one selection is made.

Can you kindly advise

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give the export value "Yes" to checkbox 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines