Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Highlight tool is not working in Acrobat Pro DC

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed the recent Adobe Pro DC updates. A simple yellow highlighting feature used over the years is now seemingly impossible. When clicking the highlighter, the text areas show myriad border lines and when I try to put the cursor in front of text I want to highlight, huge blocks of asymmetrical shapes are highlight in yellow instead of just the word or sentence I am wanting to highlight.

I am also finding other simple edit functions are not working properly.

Please advise.

Douglas Stewart

[Personal info removed by Mod: Email]

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Hello StewartWeb

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, Highlight tool is not working in Acrobat Pro DC, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat Pro DC(if any) from Help>Check for updates and reboot the machine after the installation of updates.

You can also repair the installation files of Acrobat Pro DC from Help>Repair installation(only for Windows), Reboot the machine after the repair.

If the issue persists, please reset the preferences

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problems with highlighter tool until I purchased a new computer and I'm now on Windows 10. A solution I saw above worked! Print - do not select Adobe PDF; DO select Save as PDF. This worked.

I can't test the download file b/c of the system I'm in won't download.

Good luck.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad my suggestion was helpful to you. A higher level tech called me yesterday. I may have caused part of the problem. Apparently in taking documents from the web Never Print to PDF because that flattens the pdf and highlight won't work on a flattened document. Instead download as Adobe PDF (best) instead of print to pdf which I had been doing to fix the problem. Allegedly save is a better command than print. Also just to make sure, download again adobe pro, and be sure when Acrobat DC is installed the default setting for opacity is set at 100% not 0%.--that can bring the highlighted color back. I also like to highlight without it showing up as a comment. It used to be the old highlight feature in adobe did not have highlight show up as a comment. Usually highlight need not be something to clutter commenting column. According to tech this could not be fixed currently.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To date, Aug. 15, 2020, after reading through all of the issues, nothing has changed. No matter how I save it, the highlighting does NOT work. I don't need all their fancy tools, just the highlighter to work, go figure.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem now. Very frustrating but I found the solution. The properties of the highlighterare set to 30pt thickness. So here is how you can change it to 10pt which looks normal:

Click on the highligher tool, highlight your text with that huge blob, click on the hughe blob to select it and you'll now see a blue box around your highlight with four point handles, right click the box, select "Properties" and change it from 30pt to 10pt, BUT THAT'S NOT ALL, make sure to check the box at the bottom that says "Make Properties Default" and also make sure "Locked" is unchecked.Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 11.17.02 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works.  Finally.  Thank you Medartist.

This really shouldn't have been so complex, Adobe...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! On my God, finally. I can't understand why Adobe Acrobat don't put that by default themselves! So many people have the problem!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-liter still doesn't work. I get the magnifier, but no hi-liting occurs as I drag my finger along the text. What's wrong?

Why did you change the procedure? It is extremely annoying to constantly have to adapt to a new way of doing things, especially when they worked just fine.

Maybe I should seek a different PDF reader. Maybe they won't change things up, all the time. I can't over emphasize how annoying this is. I wonder if your techies just make changes to keep busy, and chuckle over our incompetence, to keep pace.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your frustration. I finally called their technical help and got it to work. Highlighting should also not generate a separate comment. Highlighting is common enough. They make it so hard to do. Frustrating. On the other hand, there is nothing that appears to work as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't be that hard to fix the glitch which prevents highlighting and is driving your users crazy. Just fix the damn thing and put out an update rather than having the users do your work for you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same with blobs of highlite and assymetrical shapes....what happened? This was working a few moths ago...I miss the highliter tool!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's 2022 and this problem is still happening. Yesterday, i could highlight pdf documents with yellow by clicking the highlight tool, selecting what I want with it, done. Highlighted. Today, doesnt work. I tried finding solutions online but only found people have this same issue... A pdf document is a pdf document, why cant Adboe fix this once and for all? Now I've spent 16 minutes trying to find what is not available - a solution. Giving up on Adobe. Sad. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are actually in an Adobe product, that your document did not open in Chrome. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand this is old, but my edit tool don't work. I am completely uptodate and just to check I created a test document and I can't highlight in that either. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue now.........   😞 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quit Adobe for a few years, but have recently re-installed it. The hi-lighting feature works fine now. To iniate it; click the icon of a fountain pen near the left side of taskbar at the top of the screen. Then place your cursor at the start of hiliting to the end, and it should hilite all. If you left click on the hilited area, an popup appears with 3 options. Add note, change colour, and trash, are the options. Trash removes the hiliting, not the text.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My highlight tool does nothing, it worked fine for years, now it does nothing at all.  Used to be able to tell once you selected the tool, now it does absolutely nothing when I click on it. I've tried all the "fixes" folks are suggesting with no luck.  I guess I'll have to uninstall and reinstall the program.  😞 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem when a pdf is merely a scanned hardcopy document without the pdf attributes. You can convert it but the auto text may misspell unlegible type of the scan is poor or a copy of a copy leading to poor resolution. If your image quality of the text is good try converting it and you'll get your highlighter back. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines