Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Highlighter in Acrobat DC very very wide

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I highlight and it's not the width of a line but about 30 lines. I can't change the width in the properties. I don't know how this has happened.

Could someone please advise how to change it back to normal.

Thank you.

Mel

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can happen if the underlying text of a scanned image is very large. There isn't really much you can do about it... It's just how the file was created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has just recently happened when I print a document to PDF. When I try to highlight or copy a section of text, it highlights a big block comprised of many rows. This does not happen when I get a PDF from an outside source only if I print to PDF.

I am using Adobe Acrobat 10.1.16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me too and I am trying to figure out what the deal is.  This super-wide highlighting thing was not an issue a week ago and I don't know where it came from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like all the others here, I also started having this problem only recently, suggesting it was some 'updating' from Adobe which introduced this bug in Acrobat Writer (I have version 11). The way I solved it was to choose 'Save as PDF' rather than 'Adobe PDF' when printing the original document (e.g., Web page) you are trying to convert onto PDF. When you do it this way, the PDF can be edited in the 'normal', sensible way, without the exaggerated line-height of the highlight. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm still having this problem.

There are times that I can't save something as a PDF, I have to print it as one. So Magrela77's solution does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the SAVE icon instead of the PRINT icon it will save correctly and you will be able to edit as before,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

As Try67 mentioned above, there's not much you can do about it as it depends on how the file was created.

You may try reprinting the pdf to Adobe PDF printer using the steps given in this link at post# 8: How to change height of highlight

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well don't you think if I pay for Adobe Pro DC that is should work properly on the highlighting feature? I never had an issue with the regular PDF program. This is not helpful at all especially since I need it to work properly when sending items to clients.  I think Adobe needs to look into this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone on this post suggested reprinting the document to an adobe file. I did that and I was able to highlight specific text. I also optimised it before i printed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I reprinted to an Adobe file (which I thought that's what I had done in the first place) and it worked perfectly.  Crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read on one of these posts that it is the way the file is created.  it drove me nuts and was suggested to print and save the file again to PDF.  I did that and the problem was fixed in that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe sucks for not resolving this in some way. I have had, for some time, the same issue. It started after an update. I now have to print to Microsoft PDF then open in adobe, next enhance the scan, perform text recognition to get it  to work!! What a waste of time. I tried recognizing text from an adobe PDF print & it did not work. I had no  choice to print it to Microsoft PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All - This issue recently happened to me and I figured out that my default settings had changed when I saved a file. When I saved a file the setting was "Print to PDF" instead of "Save as PDF." If I saved a file via the Print to PDF route, when I tried to highlight I got the oversized blob . When I switched it to Save as PDF, I could highlight text normally. I hope this helps someone!

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is from 2017-however, the fix for me was to save in a different format.  I was using adobe and when I changed to microsoft pdf, the problem went away.  I hope this helps someone who is going crazy trying to figure out a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me.  Saving as "Microsoft PDF" is not an option in Adobe. 

Why can't adobe just make a highlighter that is a sensible size?  Or at least one that you can change the size of manually?  Microsoft Paint has been able to do this since the last century.  Surely it's not beyond the ability of Adobe in 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copied and pasted from above.  Still works 12/2021:

I read on one of these posts that it is the way the file is created.  it drove me nuts and was suggested to print and save the file again to PDF.  I did that and the problem was fixed in that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This just started happening to me.  I am relieved to have figured it out now.

I sent the PDF to print and selected Adobe PDF from the printer drop down menu and this seemed to take care of it.  Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines