• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I reactivate Acrobat 8 after Windows 10 Creators update?

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop updated to the Windows 10 Creators Update last night. Since then, my copy of Acrobat 8.0.1 Standard has warned me that I must reactivate it within 5 days or I won't be able to use it.

The "Activate" menu option is occasionally grayed out, but when I try to print a document from a website the activation dialog pops up.

Adobe

I've attempted to re-activate the software 10 times now, including after two full reboots, but I get an error message (Code 160:41) every time that says that I must be connected to the Internet for the activation process to work. Needless to say, I'm connected to the Internet. And I'm not using a proxy server.

Adobe

I attempted to activate over the phone, but I got a recorded message that Adobe no longer activates software that way and I should go to www.adobe.com/go/activation. I did, but found nothing there that addressed this problem.

My next step could be to uninstall the Acrobat software and reinstall it. Before I do that, I wanted to find out if there was an easier way -- regedit, file permissions, etc. -- that would allow me to get back to processing financial paperwork. Today.

I haven't installed or uninstalled any software or changed any settings since the Creators Update that might have caused this problem. It seems that the Update was enough.Thanks for any help. I don't want to upgrade. Acrobat 8 works just fine for my needs, thanks.

Thanks for any help. I don't want to upgrade. Acrobat 8 works just fine, and did so until 12 hours ago, for my very simple needs, thanks.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

I'm sorry to say this thread is out of date.  Adobe removed links to the activation-free installer and replacement serial number.  All support for Acrobat 8 has ended.  It's officially dead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 and Acrobat 8 Activation Servers have been retired.

See this link for obtaining a new download & serial # that does not require activation.

Activation or connection error when starting CS3 or Acrobat 8

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. That was exactly what I need to get started again.

The process wasn't entirely straightforward after that, though. So for anyone who has to do this for him- or herself, this is what I had to do:

This link provided instructions for

1. Getting a new serial number based on the old serial number
  2. Removing the old CD-based Acrobat installation
  3. Installing the downloaded new version

Removing the old version using the "Programs and Features" Control Panel didn't work after 5-6 tries and a couple reboots. I kept getting the error message

Error 1326.Error getting file security:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\8.0\Cache\GetLastError: 5

The uninstall routine would run for 40-50 seconds and fail with 0 seconds to go. Deleting the file and directory in the Cache directory made no difference.

Researching the GetLastError problem turned up the "Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool" page. This Adobe software says it's for Acrobat 9, but with little to lose, I decided to try it on Acrobat 8.

It found my installation of Acrobat 8 and ran, displaying a progress bar that made it all the way to the right. And then walked itself back all the way to the left. However, the software said it had removed Acrobat. The Control Panel still showed Acrobat 8, but without the Adobe logo. When I tried to remove that entry, it said, "This action can only be performed on current installations." Sounded semi-promising...

I moved on to the installation of the new downloadable version. There was a minor speed bump when I had to install "Akamai NetSession Interface". That installation process was not very friendly or intelligible, but by accepting everything it asked for except giving people in coffee shops permission to access my computer, I finally got the new Acrobat 8 downloaded and installed.

And running. I hope that's all it takes. Thanks again.

--A.C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and followed your direction that saved lot of my time, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe acrobat links about versions 8, 9 are broken - the search results show 

Download Acrobat 8 and Acrobat 9

Download replacement installers for Adobe Acrobat 8 and Acrobat 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This downloads are not more available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They must return the money to us since they forbade us to use Acrobat 8.

If you managed to get a new serial number I stil have ACRO8_Win_ESD1_WWEFG.exe file for new SN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Return what money?  You can't get a refund in 2020 for something you purchased in 2007. That's not how things work.   Acrobat 8 is finished, kaput, dead.  It doesn't exist anymore.  Get Acrobat Pro DC or use free Acrobat Reader DC.   Both are better than 8 ever was.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that we bought the trial version? Cool, it turns out we bought 13 trial versions of Acrobat 8 & 9!
In Acrobat 8 I can delete/insert pages, do OCR, export page to TIFF, JPEG. I need this every day. Can your Reader DC do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try free Acrobat Reader DC to see if it meets all your needs.  

If the free Reader doesn't do everything you need, the Compare Versions chart below shows what Acrobat Standard and Acrobat Pro DC can do. 

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pricing/compare-versions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say this thread is out of date.  Adobe removed links to the activation-free installer and replacement serial number.  All support for Acrobat 8 has ended.  It's officially dead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines