• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

read untagged document dialog box now shows up for every pdf opened..?

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

This only started happening within the last three or four months. Whenever I open a .pdf file in reader, the .pdf will open but also a dialog box titled "Reading untagged document" will pop open also saying that the document is untagged and needs to be prepared for reading. It has something to do with 'assitive technology'. How do I get rid of this box. I don't want it to pop up any more. I'm very sick of it.

Thanks.
TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008
okay. A bit of work with Google provided the answer. (Just for the record, I could *not* find an answer to this through any of Adobe's resources directly. Even calling tech support. Calling tech support just got a heavily accented guy telling me to use the forums and an Adobe support person would answer my question here. I thought this was a user to user forum. Ah, well.)

Here's the answer:
go to Edit>Preferences>Reading> and focus on the 'Screen Reader Options' section. In the 'Page vs Documen...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly enough I was suddenly having this problem also and I disabled this feature, BUT now my screen reader won't read the entire document even though I go through and adjust the reading order from the Order panel. Anyone know why this could be happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, more than nine years later and still helpful.  This problem surfaced on both my MacBooks after the latest update.  In Preferences I selected "Override the reading order..."

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And let me add at the end of 2018 this post is still useful. Not sure why my user's Acrobat decided to start doing this when everyone around her with the same version do not have this problem but it was something I never encountered before. Thank you, Jenn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it is March 2019 and this issue is still popping up!  It just randomly started happening on my desktop.  I toyed with some fixes, including those suggested in this thread, but I finally found what appears to be the correct or best one (maybe it was added in an update to the software).   In the "preferences" section under the "Edit" tab, go to "Accessibility" and uncheck the "Enable assistive technology support" option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mark (@markp94283909), this is the correct answer now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me in March 2021. (Windows 10, Acrobat Pro DC).

Thanks @markp94283909 !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

November 2021, I know I hit a key by accident, and then it started. Last time it happened I ended up removing and reinstalling Acrobat. This time your soultion worked, not the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

End of 2019 and THIS post helped fix my Adobe Acrobat Pro DC when it all of a sudden started to do this recently. Thank you so much Jenn!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who would think that an answer from 2008 would be relevent in 2020!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twelve years later - I thank you VERY VERY much! How painful was that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 and it's still happening.  Thanks SO MUCH for posting the quick and easy way to fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the issues persist in 2021. Thanks for the Community to have the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening May 2021. Just one user from 30 in our organisation. Maybe it's the windows accessibility features triggering it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can somebody help mi to turn off this useless and time consuming auto function in Acrobat DC? Snímek obrazovky 2017-09-22 v 22.46.54.png

I am using Adobe Acrobat in pre press and this function is reason why I am still using Acrobat PRO XI instead of Acrobat DC.

Every time I want to open any PDF file to make preflight check or to make some editing, this dialog box appears. I can not find any way to turn it off!

/Petr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Petr,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Launch Acrobat>Edit>Preferences>Accessibility, try unchecking these options.

Restart and try again. Let us know if that helps.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU - this was driving me nuts. unchecking the "Enable assistive technology support" stopped that dialog box from popping up for me. i had read several other posts advising to change more settings & doing stuff i didn't feel comfortable in doing. glad i found this thread before trying them. i think i was mostly uncomfortable because i didn't understand what the dialog was for. now that i get it's for screen readers, that i don't have nor need to use, i'm okay with disabling the preference/feature.

the thing that's still boggling my mind is... i exported 2 artboards from 1 Illustrator document with the same PDF settings & only 1 of them causes this dialog box to come up. weird. am open to hearing theories on that if ya got 'em.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this about a dozen times and it continues to return to the previous settings with those options checked.  Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! 🙂 Thank you! Now is it O.K. dialog is not apearing!

Thank you ones more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are great, thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah...14 years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fffoffkkfflglffgff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the office working please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines