• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the highlighting tool from the "marker" back to a circle?

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2024 Sep 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recently updated on my computer and now when I attempt to highlight items the default highlighting tool is the marker which, oddly, does not start highlighting at the tip of the marker but, rather, at the back end of the tool in line. Which would not be a total failure except that the tool is angled so and the highlight starts on the same level as the tip (front) of the tool. So you have to line up the tip and the back end to get it to highlight the proper area.

What I want to know is how can I default the highlighting tool back to the circle which allowed me to free hand highlights, which is my preferred method of making highlights in documents.

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Are you generally highlighting scanned documents? Or orginal digital documents?
  2. Can you post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally they are scaned documents, specifically Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams that contain text and graphics. I cannot post a scan as the information is proprietary.

when I originally opend the document yesterday I could select the highlight tool and the circle, vice the pen, appeared and I could easily highlight the desired information but the program locked up so I was unable to save the file. When I restarted the program it updated and since then the pen has been the only option when I attempt to highlight information on the drawings. Which, as I stated earlier, is difficult because of how the tool starts the highlight, not at the tip, but at the backend of the pen. Whichever developer thought that was the intuitive and efficient way to do it should be fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As nice it as it would be to able to choose between either version of the highlighter tool, Adobe does not have that functionality. If you are working form a scan, you ONLY get the freeform highlighter tool. If you are working on a digital document, you ONLY get the pen highlighter tool. Caveat: If your document contains both raster iamges as well as digital content, the tool will switch depending upon which type of content you hover over.

I switched all my highlighting tasks to Bluebeam Revu for this reason. I also work on a lot of piping diagrams and such, so I feel your pain. Sorry!

Maybe could you post a screenshot of something without the intellectual property, just so I can see how your highlighter tool is behaving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hold down Ctrl when using the Highlight tool it will switch to free-form selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2024 Sep 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I've tried that and it does not give me the free-form tool. Thought I might have a bad install of the program so I deleted it, restarted my computer and tried again but it still would not give me the free-form tool when holding down Ctrl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2024 Sep 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for yout time and help. I've heard of Bluebeam before and will now look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2024 Sep 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was facing the same issue, click on the hamburger menu on the left hand corner and then click on - Disable new Acrobat 

You will be switched to old Acrobat and your old good highlighter tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2024 Sep 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Juan26306501q3v8,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, the team has identified the issue and is working on solving the sensitivity issue to ensure that annotation starts from the tip of the pen (and not from behind) which is causing this confusion. Will update this thread as soon as the fix is live.

Thanks,

Rohit A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2024 Sep 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was facing the same issue, click on the hamburger menu on the left hand corner and then click on - Disable new Acrobat 

You will be switched to old Acrobat and your old good highlighter tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines