• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I clear a radio button?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to deselect a choice in a radio button group on a fillable PDF? There are times a radio button choice may be selected accidentally. When this happens, the only choice one may have is to abandon the form they have been completing, and start from scratch in hopes the mistake is not made again. Our forms are very detailed and with multiple pages and combinations of drop downs, check boxes, radio buttons, text boxes, etc... with questions totaling well over 100.  You can imagine someone's frustration if they've completed over 100 questions and near the end of the form there's a radio button question they did not mean to answer... The radio buttons are used exclusively for one choice selections only, otherwise check boxes are used. I'm interested in any simple solutions. Maybe Adobe can come up with a solution. I don't understand why radio buttons don't function the same way as check boxes. If you click once, it's marked; if you click again, it clear. Any help is greatly appreciated. Detailed steps for the fix are also appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

This is the functional definition of radio-buttons. Once a selection is made, you can only switch from one button to another, not de-select them entirely (unless you reset the form).

If you want to be able to de-select the buttons then you should use check-boxes. Give them the same name but different export values and they'll function just like radio-buttons (ie, when you click on button in a group the selected one becomes un-selected), with the additional feature that you could de-select a butto

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Tools - Forms - Preapare Form - More Options - Clear Form.

This is just what i was looking for thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

You do not see this in the menu bar on the right? 

MintyVO_0-1682529382275.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to just clear one radio button instead of clearing the whole form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only with a script. For example:

this.resetForm(["Radio1"]);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the elegant solution.

However, in the Prepare Form/Edit where I have selected the individual field that I need to clear, there is nowhere in the Properties Box to run the script -  this.resetForm(["Radio1"]);

I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cheryl, 

It has now moved to:

Go to Prepare Form.

Next to the Fields section, select the three dots (…) button.

Clear Form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! this is super helpful. I am still looking at this function as of the end of 2023. 

As of today, Adobe Acrobat has been updated.

In case someone else looking, to find the 'Clear Form' button, go to Prepare Form, next to the Fields section, select three dots (...). Click 'Clear Form'.

LinWong_0-1702885462543.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what should have been the correct answer, at least for people who are designing or editing a form and find themselves stuck with selected radio buttons. Thanks for the guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally they would just have a reset button or right click to clear it or a
hot key or literally anything at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tools - Forms - Preapare Form - More Options - Clear Form.

This is just what i was looking for thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find this option to clear forms in Acrobat Pro 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be under Tools - Prepare Form - More...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you try67!  That worked.  🙂  I appreciate your quick response and help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, this should be marked as the "Correct Answer". Thank you for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread (and technique) but attached is a sample form showing your options.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in Acrobat 9.5 Pro. It is not letting me name two different check-boxes the same name. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is not the answer anyone wants or needs. And you are incorrect. The answer is: Go to Prepare Forms, then on the right-side tool bar, click "More Tools", then click "Clear Form". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. If someone is asking how to uncheck a radio button, clearly they're filling out a form, not creating one... so it's totally unhelpful to say "well just rewrite the form." Thank you for providing an actual solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else think that check boxes are ugly/messy and do not catch the eye like a radio button? I am making a Hazard assessment sheet where a user selects many things from a list. I wanted the form to have the clean look of a voting ballot with filled in boxes or circles. I do not believe in radio-button orthodoxy, after all it is just an empty circle that can get filled in!  Is it possible to change the ✓ symbol into something else?  Maybe a ■?  Maybe different checkbox "styles" could be incorporated into Adobe Acrobat forms? Free the radio-button from it's functional servitude by the form design cognoscente! Do you realize how many forums and blogs there are  that deal with engineering the radio-button to be used differently than the designers intended?!  Adobe allows you to have radio buttons that only have 1 in a group, so why not make them de-selectable? Thank you for listening to my rant. The sentence "This is the functional definition of radio-buttons" set me off! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha well I just found Check Box Style, I am happy, but I still like the radio-button style better! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super! Brilliant. Thank you so much for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case of ...

"There are times a radio button choice may be selected accidentally. When this happens, the only choice one may have is to abandon the form they have been completing...."

... then,  the  Edit / Undo action worked for me,

near the end of a long form, which I was about to abandon, after I searched for help, to no avail, and just before I clicked on "NO, do not save changes before closing "  ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually a brilliant advice. Nice workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you accidentally clicked a button and saved your complete form.  We found a work-around to deal with this. Basically what you do is add a button to the form under the same group-> go to the preview -> Select the new button -> Sacrifice that button with the selection in it by deleting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very cumbersome way of solving this issue. You can just clear the form, or run this JavaScript code to clear this one field:

this.resetForm(["Radio1"]);

(replace "Radio1" with the actual field name, of course)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines