• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I convert rich black text to 100%K?

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am preparing ads for a print publication. I am trying to change small rich black text to 100% K. I use the editing tools and set the sliders to 100% K but it just changes the text to RGB after I close out of the editing tools. Is there some way to "apply" change? What am I missing?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question is about a PFD in Acrobat CD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. PDF, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro DC. Think I am dyslexic today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Edit tools convert CMYK to RGB, so don't go anywhere near them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I cannot convert embedded text to 100%K in the PDF? I have to open in Illustrator and hope I have the font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is not a general PDF editor: not recommended at all.

I don't know if you can do this in Acrobat, but what I'm saying is don't go near the Edit tool. Look elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh This works like a charm! Thank you! It's not converting my lines though. Lines in charts, underlines and stroked lines. Any idea why? I changed text objects to a bunch of different settings and nothing worked. (Lines that are rich black, lines under 2pt that are rich black)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh ...Any idea why?

By @Jackie298589920iyr

Can you provide a sample or test file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh  I can't really supply the source document as it's confidential. This probably won't help, but here is a screenshot of one of the CMY separations. You can see it's not changing the lines and the chart lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, it doesn't help.

You can use the edit object tool to select and then delete sensitive objects, leaving the skeleton of the job lines and other elements that require changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the profile  Map color with specified color values Select All vector and text objects for the Apply to: section (or try Apply to: None if that doesn't work). Are you sure the lines are not RGB?

As a last resort, try flattening the pdf and select the option "Convert all strokes to outlines" (Tools> Print Production> Flattener preview. Note, you will be flattening your PDF, which may introduce other possible changes.

Map color.png

Convert strokes to outlines.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Luke Jennings3 I had been doing that but am going to try again. For some reason though, the fixup is locked. It's greyed out so I can't actually so anything. Any ideas how to get rid of the dots? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat Pro the simplest is to use  Convert Colours under Prepress tools. You can choose to convert text objects only and Keep Black and Promote CMYK-K to Balck. Also converting to a greyscale profile will also convert to black. There is of course the above mentioned preflight, and you can also make a preflight into a droplet so that you can apply the fix by just dropping files on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Lukas:
I'm told by my book publisher that my PFD contains 4 color black type. I've used "Convert Colors" option with the "Photoshop 5 default CMYK" selection for any object and color space. I've also opened the "Ink Manager" and checked the "Convert all Spots to Process" option. Then I chose the "Preserve Black" option. Wouldn't this ensure that all the text is rendered on the black process plate? In other words, rendered in black with no separation. I'm stuck and would really appreciate any advice on how to keep all the text in my book black.
Thank you in advance,
Rod Machado
Loyal Adobe User

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to a related discussion that includes instructions on using a preflight fixup:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-convert-color-image-to-black-in-acrobat-dc/m-p/1113855...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preflight -> "Correct 4C Black" works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to duplicte the preflight profile from the "Options" fly-out menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines