• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I extract text (OCR) from a flattened jpeg file using Acrobat XI ?

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I extract text (excel spreadsheet info) from a flattened jpeg file using Acrobat XI ?

I see the text inside a spreadsheet.  I want to convert that spreadsheet using OCR into text.

Do I need to additionally process this file with other programs from the Adobe Suite to make it usable with OCR ?

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just want to read the file you can run OCR only.

Go to Tools> Text Recgnition> In this file> <Change any settings if required> and click OK

If you want to extract text in some other format like text file or spreadsheet you can use Save as feature

Go to File> Save as other> Spreadsheet> <select type> (or any other format you want).

Hope it will resolve your issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might not have understood my message or you don't understand what a flattened bitmap is. I am trying to extract white text from a black background PNG..

I have done the procedures you recommended before I submitted my first question. 

This is what I am currently doing.

I screen Capture the spreadsheet and save it as a PNG,

then I open it in Photoshop and increase the contrast, invert the text and background and save it as a PDF,

then I open it in Acrobat and OCR the file, this enables access to the text to copy into Excel as text,

then I can use it for my needs.

I was hoping for an easier way to extract the text from a flattened graphic.  I await your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't have any problem, can you please share a sample file where you are facing this issue. It will help us to identify exact steps, suits your document. It will also fasten the process of resolving this issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly don't understand what you mean by a "flattened bitmap" as applied to JPEG. In my understanding all JPEG files are flattened, because JPEG is not a format that supports layers. Please explain exactly what you mean (or, if that's awkward, exactly how you'd make one, and how a non-flattened JPEG would be). I see you start talking about PNG later, but let's just stick to JPEG to keep it simple and match the message subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO! Photoshop 2020 does NOT have a "File>Save as other>spreadsheet>etc>
It ONLY has "Save As" and NONE of the Save As options include spreadsheet or non-image format.

Please revise your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wesley, yes indeed, there is no Save as Other > Spreadsheet function in Photoshop. This question isn't about Photoshop...  notice the title is "How do I extract text (OCR) from a flattened jpeg file using Acrobat XI ?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines