• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get a word count for a PDF doc or for a selected passage?

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get a word count for a PDF doc or for a selected passage?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select text, copy into Word, use Word's Properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the only way? Not so convenient with a long doc. Oh well. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done within Acrobat, but it requires a script. And it's more complicated with a passage. Basically that can't be done directly. You'll need to first do something like highlight the text using the Highlight commenting tool before a script could count the number of words in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could export to Word if it's many pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all--this is very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2016 Feb 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is automated tool, which handles pdf word count. It can even count PDFs with scanned images using built-in OCR engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does/can Adobe Reader have a feature that provides automatic word counts for documents? Translators need such numbers (actually, several metrics can be used, not just raw word count) as the primary basis for their fees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never heard of translators being able to do their work successfully with PDFs alone, still less with Adobe Reader.

They are probably working in Word or FrameMaker, and these do have word counts.

If someone other than the translator needs a word count and has only the final PDF, perhaps the best option is to copy and paste to Word for counting metrics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some translators unfortunately receive source documents in PDF in spite of protests to those customers.  At present I am looking at the PDF of a book of more than 250 pages and have no easy way to do a word count to confirm a quote for translation.  It frankly sucks to have to do a very messy copy/paste to another application just to do a word count. The addition of a simple word count tool for  Adobe Reader would be appreciated by many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try Foxit PDF reader (free version). It provides a pretty accurate word count for a pdf document.  It's a shame Adobe won't have this elementary function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader does not provide a word count feature, but you could use the online counter http://felix-cat.com/tools/wordcount/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

link is now dead (404)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this issue in a PDF...

I actually hit "select all" (control A), "copy" (control C), then opened a Word doc.

In Word doc, I hit "paste" (control v)

In Word doc, under "review" hit "word count"

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good answer presuming you have Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never heard of a translator who didn't have Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many translators who don't use MS Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use AnyCount PDF Word Count tool It can count words in Adobe PDF even without Acrobat Reader installed! Plus it counts words and characters in 37 more formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anyone know of a tool that doesn't cost $15/month/user?

yes, they have a free online tool, but if I can copy/paste into their web form, I can paste into Word and get the same count

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does/can Adobe Reader have a feature that provides automatic word counts for documents? Translators need such numbers (actually, several metrics can be used, not just raw word count) as the primary basis for their fees.

By @Nachal_nik

WHY WOULD ADOBE NOT ICLUDE SOMETHING SO BASIC?   They've been failing a lot lately with me.  There's no Premier Rush for android.  You can't make AR filters for facebook and instagram with their Aero.  You can't make multiple copies of your work in Spark open at the same time, etc etc etc etc .   What's going on adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know how to get a word count on a PDF document? Also, how do I highlight an entire file (so I can copy it onto Word which gives me a word count) without highlighting the first line and scrolling down line by line. Email is:(Email Address removed by Moderator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader doesn't have a word count feature.

Edit > Select all to highlight the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find "Edit" and "Select all"

In a message dated 3/5/2017 8:44:34 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Word count on Adobe

created by BarbBinder (https://forums.adobe.com/people/BarbBinder) in

Acrobat Reader - View the full discussion

(https://forums.adobe.com/message/9372213#9372213)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't see the menus, press Escape.

You can can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a menu like in almost every app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines