• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get Acrobat to stop RESIZING images, when converting to PDF

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't always like making a PDF straight from my Illustrator files because it can cause some weird things to happen with effects from time to time. Most times I save a high quality JPG and then drag that into Acrobat to convert it into a PDF.

EVERY TIME I do this, it makes my JPG a massive size. It will be an 8.5 x 11 jpg and as soon as I drop it into adobe it's like 32" x 52"!! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?! I've been having to open my JPGS back up in Illustrator and then export the PDF from there to get them to be the correct size.

Can any one tell me why Acrobat is resizing my images at all and how can I fix this? It seems like a crazy bug to me!

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem for the past couple years after updating my work computer's OS and Adobe software to CC. While it appears that the root of the problem has yet to be solved by Adobe, there is an easier temporary fix that does not require opening the PDF or JPG in another program. This solution is based off this article from the Adobe help forum "How to change the size of a PDF page using Acrobat DC Preflight tool on a Mac." https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/Change-PDF-page-size-in-MAC.html 

If all pages of your PDF are going to be the same size, you can simply follow their exact instructions.

If you have multiple page sizes in a single PDF, you can scale the pages by a percentage to reach your target page size. I don't know if this bug affects everyone's page size the same way, but on my computer scaling to 24% corrects the oversized pages. 

So in the Scale Pages dialogue box, enter these values:

Short edge: 24

Long edge: 24

Unit: percent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get to step 6 in their guide and I don't even have the option to choose "Scale pages to specified size":

acrobat sucks.PNG

It's comically ironic how unhelpful their help section of their site is. Nothing is updated, even though every Adobe product is updated seemingly everday. 

How can I access this "Scale Pages dialogue box"? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue with jpgs being resized in Acrobat from 8.5" to 34." I used the tool "Edit PDF" in an effort to resize the images. Simply clicking that tool caused Acrobat to resize back to what was expected. It's clearly not a long-term solution, but it is a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having a similar issue with Jpeg files converting to a smaller size.

I figured from things that were being said in this thread that it's in relation to a disparity between the DPI settings of the file and Acrobat itself.

I discovered that by changing the resolution settings of Acrobat, you should be able to get around this issue.

In Acrobat itself, go to Edit > Preferences > Page Display
Then under the "Resolution" section, select "Custom resolution" and change it to 300 or whatever pixel/inch resolution your files are.

For the record, I'm using Acrobat XI Pro.

Hope this helps some if not all of you out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this issue was posted in 2018.  I am looking for a solution.

My work requires I take jpeg photos and convert them into pdf.  When I open the pdf, the photo is near 10x the jpeg size.  When I send the photos to my customer they need to use the reducing (minus) sign to see the whole photo. 

can anyone provide  a workaround to converting a jpeg to pdf and keeping the size of the photo as it was when in jpeg format? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, there's been a few workarounds posted in this thread.

Here's the one that I came up with for me:

After exporting the JPG, before converting to PDF, open the JPG in Irfanview. Click the "Image Information" button in Irfanview and in the table that opens, there will be a section for resolution with two blank fields that say "Blank Field x Blank Field DPI" and then a "Change" button.  Input the DPI you want your image to be at, for instance put "300" in both fields for a 300 DPI image. Then click "Change". You should see the line that says "Print Size (from DPI)" change to the actual dimensions you want your image to be.

Now save your JPG and exit Irfanview and convert to PDF. It should be the correct print size.

Jojojambo posted this solution:

1 save Ai. File

2 open file in photoshop

3 save as jpeg

4 reopen illustrator

5 place jpegs on correct size artboards

6 save as pdf

Jbland suggested:

I was having the same issue with jpgs being resized in Acrobat from 8.5" to 34." I used the tool "Edit PDF" in an effort to resize the images. Simply clicking that tool caused Acrobat to resize back to what was expected. It's clearly not a long-term solution, but it is a work-around.

tc58150421 says:

I have been having this problem for the past couple years after updating my work computer's OS and Adobe software to CC. While it appears that the root of the problem has yet to be solved by Adobe, there is an easier temporary fix that does not require opening the PDF or JPG in another program. This solution is based off this article from the Adobe help forum "How to change the size of a PDF page using Acrobat DC Preflight tool on a Mac." https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/Change-PDF-page-size-in-MAC.html 

If all pages of your PDF are going to be the same size, you can simply follow their exact instructions.

If you have multiple page sizes in a single PDF, you can scale the pages by a percentage to reach your target page size. I don't know if this bug affects everyone's page size the same way, but on my computer scaling to 24% corrects the oversized pages. 

So in the Scale Pages dialogue box, enter these values:

Short edge: 24

Long edge: 24

Unit: percent

And finally RavenArt01UK says:

I was having a similar issue with Jpeg files converting to a smaller size.

I figured from things that were being said in this thread that it's in relation to a disparity between the DPI settings of the file and Acrobat itself.

I discovered that by changing the resolution settings of Acrobat, you should be able to get around this issue.

In Acrobat itself, go to Edit > Preferences > Page Display
Then under the "Resolution" section, select "Custom resolution" and change it to 300 or whatever pixel/inch resolution your files are.

For the record, I'm using Acrobat XI Pro.

Hopefully one of those workarounds will work for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, none of them worked. I'm trying to import a png from Photoshop and it's the same issue everyone's having importing from Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a related problem. When I import a jpg into a pdf using Acrobat 10, the embedded image saved as jpg, has same pixel dimensions,but about 1% larger file size, so Acrobat is processing the jpg so presumably degrading it. Isn't there any way to just import the jpg exactly as is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning. Just having the same issue since recent CC Adobe Acrobat updates. Never had this issue before. I noticed that at least in my case this problem happens only when creating a pdf from a CMYK image file... For example, from InDesign I export an image as jpg CMYK . This file shows exactly the right pixels and resolution as if I export it as an RGB image (1583x2386 = 67x101mm, 600dpi). The only difference in the file properties is the obvious 24 or 32 bit depth. So far so good.

- When I convert that CMYK file into pdf... Adobe Acrobat makes a document of 558.4x841.7mm
- But when I convert the RGB file into pdf... Adobe Acrobat makes a document of 67x101mm as it should be.

My work around until this bug is fixed was to open the CMYK image file in Photoshop, save it, and the new CMYK file DOES get converted to the correct 67x101mm size.

I hope this input helps while we get it fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Importing a JPEG file to Acrobat just for the fun of having an Acrobat file is no good idea, as you absolutely do not get an added value. The 1% larger file size may well be the PDF overhead, it may well be some additional processing. Visually, I do not see any difference when checking both images. Subtracting in Photoshop results in a black image. Tiny differences, however, do not stand out and are not visible with this.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines