• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove highlighting from a previously-created document in Adobe Acrobat DC?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let me say that I have read many posts on this topic and watched YouTue videos and none of them seem to work for the latest version of Acrobat DC.  I created a document with some text highlighted  in September 2015 using Acrobat DC and now in November of 2015, I cannot remove the highlighting no matter what I do.  Sometimes I will see the "Delete Highlighting" option when I right click after selecting the text, but even when I select that option, it will not remove the highlighting.

Any ideas??? (I am definitely out of them!)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

If you highlighted the text outside of Acrobat then you need to remove it there as well, and then create a new PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the appropriate solution to make the changes within Acrobat without having to open the document in another program. Just keep expanding the hierarchy and you'll find the elements you want to delete. You can click on each element in that tree and it will highlight it in the document for you so you know what you're deleting.

Thanks for the solution, martyb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed in and left my first comment ever on here just to "like" your solution. Rockstar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years later and this still works WONDERFULLY. Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. IMO, THIS is the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Marty! This is the correct answer! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I LOVE YOU. Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you all are saying this is the best solution and all, but please can someone explain this in simple english. The left-hand Tool bar on mine pc, you can right-click, you can only left-click to see options... So i can't see the Content he was taking about. Please if you understand this better, kindly just explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later, and this answer is still rock solid!  Holy cow I didn't even know this section of Acrobat DC existed.  This is going to save me so much time in the future.  Thank you!!  (this is what really needs to be marked as the correct answer!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution did not work for me, but I found another solution. 

I made too many changes on the PDF file and did not want to re-do it from the original Word file, the highlighted places could not be removed by the above method and the highlights seemed to be separate from the text, between the lines. I moved the text box and the highlights were separate objects on the level below the text box. I deleted the objects and moved the text box back. I hope it helps if you have the same problem. Take care y'all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Low tech solution worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, found the easiest way to do this.  It turns out that our highlights are BEHIND (or under) the text box that you're editing/typing in. So what you have to do is click on and MOVE your text box, THEN when you move it out of the way, then simply hit "cut" or "delete" on the highlight portion. that will delete it. Then you can move your text box back.

Otherwise, you can't get to it. 

You don't need to do all the other stuff that people have recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a lot of tries, here is the easiest way I found to delete highlighting from text:

1. Right click on the highligting.  If the you do not see "Delete" as one of the options, select "Properties".

2. In the bottom left corner of the "Highlight Properties" popup UNCHECK the "Locked" checkbox.

3. Then CHECK the "Make Properties Default" checkbox. Select "OK"

Now right click on the highlighting.  You should now see "Delete" as one of the options.  Also, if you left click on the highlighting, you will see the Trashcan icon.  Clicking either Delete or the Trashcan should delete the highlighting, The left click menu also gives you a quick way to change the colors of highlighting without having to go back into the Properties menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally have this issue.  I even exported to MS Word to change the highlight.  That didn't work either.  The 'delete' option only works for the text not the highlighting and I am unable to navigate to Properties on the text box.  I do have Pro DC version but am at a loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the PDF.  How the higlight is removed depends entirely on the kind of thing that it is. We'll have to see the document to know that. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected the contents of text box by double clicking within the text box, then right clicked. A list of options appeared and this list included "Delete Highlight" as the last option. I guess I wasn't right clicking correctly, the first time I tried it. Ended up here, tried again, and voila! Highlight Deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Standard

Edit Text

Right Click -> Arrange -> Send to Back

Right Click -> Cut

Right Click -> Delete

Right Click -> Paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to zoom-in which can help to grab the highlight that is below the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, jmd83706. This worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines