• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I select and modify text box property in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC?

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the previous version of Adobe reader/writer, I just right clicked, saw properties, selected background color and I was all set.  I do not know how to set text background with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  Can someone help me?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The properties toolbar should come up automatically, if that is not happening, use Ctrl-E or Cmd-E to bring it up (that is as long as the "text box" you are referring to is a text box annotation - this is one of the terms that means different things to different people).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We either have different versions, or I am too dumb to understand your instructions.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

The old Adobe Reader/Writer software was very easy.

This version, I clicked tools, then clicked edit.  Then clicked Text.  It allows me to select the font style, the font size, the font color, but not the background.  I want to select a white background to obliterate the material I am writing over.

When I type Ctrl E, nothing happens.

Can you provide additional support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are using is not a "text box", it's the "Add Text" tool. The "Text Box" is on the Comments toolbar. You are adding static PDF text. The "Add Text" tool does not have a background color associated with it, because it is not adding anything besides the text you type. Whatever is behind that text will be used as the background for your text - this has never been different in previous releases of Acrobat. The only difference was that the tool used to be called the TouchUp Text tool.

Which version of Acrobat did you use before you moved to Acrobat DC? How did you add text back then? If you were able to configure a background, I assume it was an annotation or comment that you added. Click on the "Comment" item in the right hand pane, this will bring up a new toolbar:

2017-02-02_14-15-18.png

Use one of the two tools I've marked. The one on the left will not add a box around the text you type, the one on the right will have a box around the text. For both of them, you can select the background color (again, using the properties toolbar as explained before).

This will add an annotation (or comment), it will not add static PDF text as you can do with the "Add Text" tool.

Unfortunately, Adobe did add to the confusion because they had two "Add Text" items in Acrobat XI: One with the same feature as the "Add Text" in Acrobat DC (static PDF content without a background), and one that was an alias for the "Add Text Comment" tool (this one was located on the Fill&Sign pane).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karl Heinz Kremer, you are a legend. Thank you for this clear explanation. Several years after you posted it, you have just made my day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you say properties will come up automatically, where?  When I type control-E nothing happens

jill1stmech_0-1631646317299.png

I used to be able to right click and "properties" came up, I could make boxes multi line.  Not now.

jill1stmech_1-1631646387474.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Activate Prepare Form and select the field. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines