• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus?

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I uninstall the McAfee Security Scan Plus software Adobe Acrobat DC installed without my permission on Windows 10?

The Uninstall option is grayed out in Windows Settings -> Apps & Features. McAfee keeps popping up telling me I have a "potential" security threat and won't tell me what it is and directs me to the McAfee website to purchase it. Seems like a marketing scam to me. I don't appreciate Adobe doing this. 

Carlos2463214010rx_0-1653674052322.png

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

I too had this problem and after reading several complex solutions that included multiple reoboots and manually editing the Windows registry, I stumbled across this simple solution:

1) In the search bar next to the Windows icon, type in 'mcafee' (yes, lower case).

2) A list of your apps should come up, but under a file tree different than the standard uninstall control panel.

3) Click on Mcafee Security Scan Plus, and the uninstall button should magically appear.

4) Click uninstall, and the program

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run the tool, restart my computer and it's still there and still pops up with marketing alerts to SCAM me to buy the software to remove a "potential threat" in which it never says what it is exactly. After decades of working in IT and trusting Adobe products, I'm disappointed that Adobe would trick its users like this. Not happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is more of an issue of McAfee and how they do things, but I agree that Adobe should not be pushing this sub-par application on its users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank God this linked worked. I've fought with it for hours.   I had to download adobe reader as a contractor and that annoying ad was popping up every second since then and blocking my computer activities for work.  I already have an anti virus/  I didn't need one installed without my knowledge just to use adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help!
Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did not work for me.  Every option I have read has not worked.   Surely we should be able to sue the company.  Need to report to government agency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this tool as well.  It took over 5 hours to run, made my computer so slow that it was almost unusable, and did no good.  What finally worked for me was using appwiz.cpl as described by Dede22797772ohb3 later in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try run->appwiz.cpl
Find McAfee Security Scan Plus on the list of programs and right-click, select remove/uninstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McAfee is pure GARBAGE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You , it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome!
Regards,
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too, just wanted to say thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't offer uninstall.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After pop up just "TAB" button bro and you will see the uninstall button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution that worked for me - however, for simple folks, the directions need more details:

1. Open a command prompt window (by clicking on the Windows logo, typing Run in the search, then clicking "Run") and type in: appwiz.cpl
  2. Click enter
  3. Then right click on the "McAfee Security Scan Plus" application in the list, select Unistall/Modify, then allow the program to make changes to your computer, click "Remove" on the second warning popup about them removing security scanning software, THEN it is finally removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I try this and all of the other steps, the second warning popup is very small and doesn't allow for me to click on a 'remove' button so I can never complete the uninstall - HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just press "TAB" button and you will see "uninstall" button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The key here is to use "TAB".  I was frustrated with not able to see the uninstall button in that tiny window for a long time.  Hit TAB and voila, uninstall and done. 

What's the deal with the tiny window?

I think that McAfee is intentionally doing this to people so they have to buy their app out of frustration.  I don't know what else they would do after you use their program to get you hooked.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had this problem and after reading several complex solutions that included multiple reoboots and manually editing the Windows registry, I stumbled across this simple solution:

1) In the search bar next to the Windows icon, type in 'mcafee' (yes, lower case).

2) A list of your apps should come up, but under a file tree different than the standard uninstall control panel.

3) Click on Mcafee Security Scan Plus, and the uninstall button should magically appear.

4) Click uninstall, and the program should now be removed.

5) Finally, go back to the search bar and again type 'mcafee' - a shortcut remains which can now be removed as well.

Hope this works for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. Your simple but hard to find solution worked for me. There are lots of programs offered on the web to solve this problem but I believed the medications would be worse than the disease. The unwanted McAfee program poured into my system while downloading Adobe Acrobat. I lost hours trying to get help from Adobe chats without success. I was a loyal Adobe Premiere customer until this incident. I will now move away from all Adobe products. I am now making my first tutorial to use the free version of Da Vinci Resolve  Editor from Blackmagic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, worked a treat, so simple right lol and only spent 20mins tops looking for this solution but read a few curly ones. Gotta love the blackhole of the internet. Uninstall Mcafee Security Scan 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. It worked fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines