• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I apply redaction and type over it?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to do this in older versions of Acrobat (I am now using Pro DC). I would add a text box, with a white fill and no border to white out whatever I wanted covered up. Then I would create the text I wanted somewhere else on the document, type the text, then drag it over the white box.

Now, the text I drag over defaults to being hidden behind the white text box. I try bringing it front, that does nothing. I wouldn't even need to create additional text, but the text box text color defaults to red and I cannot change that either. SO FRUSTRATING, especially since I used to be able to do this. Someone please help! Thanks in advance.

-TJ

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Before you can Apply redactions you must create them by somehow marking where you want them. See the help file for your version for the ways you can do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve got it!!  I did some experimenting, and was shocked to discover that when I “edit” a PDF I’d previously filled in and sent by inserting a white text box to hide unwanted data, and then send as an unzipped pdf, that the recipient can actually see the handles on the text box!  They can easily just move it around or even delete it!  But.... if after adding the text box, you right click on it to access Text Box Properties, there is a little selection box at the bottom labled “Locked”. This, my friends, will anchor your little box and prevent recipients from moving or deleting it!  Same method to replace text... simply type new text in your text box (make sure it has a white background), drag it and re-size it as needed, and then lock it down!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this ”protection” is worthless. It would take seconds to get the original info, as well as Google including it if the file is online. This is why the redaction function was added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a new (returning) user of Acrobat Pro. I was using Nitro Pro but switched back to Acrobat when most of my office did the same. Generally, I like Acrobat Pro. It seems to have come a long way since I last used it with any frequency. But I cannot figure out why they don't have a 'whiteout' tool like Nitro does. Nitro cleans that space of any data. In fact, Nitro shows a warning indicating you will lose any data you are erasing and the action cannot be undone. Can anyone explain why this function is not available in Acrobat (I'd even settle for educated guesses at this point). Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tool in Acrobat that has the same effect is the redaction tool that has been discussed in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond the redaction tool which is for text, you can also use the edit capability, select objects, and delete same.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with this 'solution' and all of the other recommendations is that the software lacks a simple function and we are having to use work-arounds.  I seem to recall Adobe having a whiteout tool or eraser in previous iterations.  Painful that we have to go through hoops to perform old functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it didn't. There's an "eraser" tool but it will only delete pencil annotations. I don't think there ever was a tool that allows you to free-form redact parts of a PDF file. Not even sure that's technically possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do the same thing. I use Nitro when Adobe won't do something I need....like whiteout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what works for me:

1. Open a blank MS Word document.

2. Use snipping tool to select a white rectangular area and save as a jpg (I call my file "white_out.jpg")

3. Go to the PDF that you wish to edit. Select "Edit PDF" (I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC)

4. Click on "Add Image"

5. Select "white_out.jpg"

This introduces a white box that can be resized.

You can insert text over it by selecting the "Add Text" button on Adobe.

I hope this helps.

Extra: If you have more regions within a page that need to be whited-out, simply select the rectangle and perform a Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V (copy and paste). The only trick is that it will paste on top of the existing rectangle, so just move it with your mouse and resize as necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the data you want to "white out" is sensitive and should be removed entirely this is NOT the way of doing it.

Those fields can be easily removed and the information underneath them accessed, even if you flatten them.

Only use the Redaction tool for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, this thread was very helpful when I was looking to figure out how to white out in Adobe.  It turns out you can choose the color for redactions in the Redact tool, and can choose white.  There is a slight difference when a scanned page is printed out as the redacted area is purely white, but not enough reason for me to not use this method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still would rather them to not have changed the old "white out text box".  Why does everything that seems simple always have to be revised to become more difficult?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the redaction tool removes sensitive information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes perfect sense if one presumes that all information needing to be covered is, in fact, sensitive in nature. But that's not a fair assumption, especially when the point of a particular PDF is to have a clean, printable document version. Normally, I would just use the edit tools to delete unwanted elements, but often the bounding boxes are so wonky in edit mode that I can't remove text I want to remove without also removing other text that needs to stay. So there are valid use cases for the old white-out feature. If an example helps, this pops up for me when making a PDF version of part of a larger document and needing to remove the page numbers since they aren't accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Redaction tool is still the best way of doing it. Just set the fill color of the redaction markups to white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this method; works great. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would this also work to just erase/whiteout some lines? We would like to remove the printer's crop marks from one page in a book. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! As a novice user of AAP, this helped! So much to learn here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  Here is a solution for a Mac: 1. Create the no border, white, non-transparent box and cover the desired area. 2. Go to File/Export To/PostScript. 3. Open the PostScript File.  4. Go to File/Export Format: PDF then Save.  5. Open the new PDF, Add Text, and drag to the desired area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines