• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you wrap text in a fillable field

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it's simple, but I really don't understand this software.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don' think you can (unless my script?). This has been brought up before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right clicking on the field, then go to Properties>>Options and check multi-line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I never knew that existed. I have seen several topics on here about that and no one ever even mentioned it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I've hunted high and low for a response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That is perfect. I also discovered that I can set the font size and type that the person filling the form uses. So if I think size 12 or 14 is reasonable for reading, I can require that setting. THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.  This is exactly what i was trying to do and has worked.   Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you soooo much for this from 2024!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can.

When you create a text field in Acrobat, set the Options for Multi-line. See attached file for an example of a filed that does and one that does not wrap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2009 Oct 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been so busy at work that I really haven't had a chance to get back to this forum, but I wanted to say thank you all so much.  It worked!  Now I can develop several other forms that I've been wanting to.  Thanks again.

Hopefully by bumping this... it'll help others who didn't know how to do this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get mine to work.  That option seems to be available if I choose the Flowable Layout option, but the staff person I'm fixing this up for created it in Word and with all kinds of graphics, so it would require WAY too much touch-up.  I don't seem to have that option with Fixed Pages.

My file is attached or here:

http://www.manateechamber.com/application.pdf

I need:

Company Headquarters

Every box from Describe What Your Company Does? down

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Carey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't look like a typical Acrobat form. The fields are not editable in Acrobat. Was Designer used to create the form fields?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took the document from Word and made it a PDF, then used Adobe LiveCycle Designer to make it a form.  Is there a better way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CareyManatee wrote:

Is there a better way?

Yopu could use the actual form tools in Acrobat. Acrobat makes straight up PDF forms while Designer makes xml (made for data submission) forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened your form in Adobe Designer and had a look at the object properties in the palette.   At the moment the field value is allow plain text only.  If the the properties palette isn't already open, right click on one of the fields and it will open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe LiveCycle Designer and had go to text field, then from toolbar select Window and select "Object." This shows the properties of the object...there is no "properties" label I could find. Then, in the "Field" tab select "Allow Multiple Lines" and "Limit Length to Visible Area" and it worked well. Just leave enough real estate for the type of information you want users to insert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have pointed out one of the features and pains of Designer. It sort of does a lot of the work for you, but then if you want to make changes like multi-line, you have to search for the preferences for the tool. Thus there are some neat things about Designer, yet if you want to do it your way rather than the package way, you might find AcroForms easier (the form tools built into Acrobat). There are pros and cons, so I am not recommending either way to make forms but am pointing out the option that many folks miss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I had to contact Adobe support for the same question. You have to purchase InDesign. Adobe Pro DC can't do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, the Adobe support person was wrong, lol! If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro, in prepare form mode, go to properties > options, scroll down and select Multiline just like one of the other replies mentioned.

Resize the box so all the wrapped words will fit.

But I agree, Adobe is a nightmare to work with. Nothing is easy or intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to go to Tools (top left). Forms/Signature, prepare forms. Then you can right click, properties, multiline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the only way to show all your text and get it to wrap is by going to Properties and selecting Multiline in Options but by also making the text field one large box on your document (instead of several skinnier fields) in the whole area that you are allowing text in. This will allow the text to wrap (as long as you've widened the width of the text field/ box in your document area. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to make the text wrap around the fillable box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible with Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the solution? Repetitive individual spacing in the background text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines