• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a rating scale with different weights

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am looking on how to add rating scales with different weights to calculate a final score. 

I am trying to create fillable PDFs for people to complete performance evaluations on when they can't access our online system. 

In this scenario I have 8 questions and the questions have different weights for the final score. 

Question 1-5 and 7 have a 15% weight

Question 6 and 8 have a 5% weight

both the employee and manager will give a rating for each question which then gets calculated to an overall score. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

OK, I see. Then assuming the fields are named Q1 to Q8 you can use this code as the custom calculation script of the total field (formatted as Percentage) to show the result:

var questionsData = [
	{name: "Q1", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q2", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q3", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q4", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q5", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q6", rating: 0.05},
	{name: "Q7", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q8", rating: 0.05},
]

var total = 0;
for (var i in questionsData) {
	var f = this.getF

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible with a script. What kind of fields are they? Radio-buttons? Text fields? Drop-downs? Something else?

And where are the correct answers stored, if at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should be more specific each question (more of a competency)  has a rating of 1-5 that the employee rates themselves on and then the manager also rates the employee from 1-5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should be more specific each question (more of a competency)  has a rating of 1-5 that the employee rates themselves on and then the manager also rates the employee from 1-5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see. Then assuming the fields are named Q1 to Q8 you can use this code as the custom calculation script of the total field (formatted as Percentage) to show the result:

var questionsData = [
	{name: "Q1", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q2", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q3", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q4", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q5", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q6", rating: 0.05},
	{name: "Q7", rating: 0.15},
	{name: "Q8", rating: 0.05},
]

var total = 0;
for (var i in questionsData) {
	var f = this.getField(questionsData[i].name);
	total+=(Number(f.valueAsString)/5 * questionsData[i].rating);
}
event.value = rating;

Edit: Code fixed thanks to Nesa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, change Q6 and Q8 to 0.05 and in last line change 'rating' to 'total'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I enter the 1-5 scale when it comes to each question. Just a drop down list? Would it calculate both the employee's ratings and manager's ratings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a drop-down list is probably the best option.

And yes, it will calculate a weighted total of all the ratings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last line is still wrong.

I belive OP wants separate field for employeers and managers, they both can't use same field to make ratings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct, and I fixed it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, can you have the old script up as well? I may only use the managers rating for the overall calculation and let the employee rate themselves through a drop down, but not have it affect the score. I apologize for switching up and appreciate the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Im using this version of Adobe Acrobat and I don't see a calculate tab when going into the properties of the text box

HelpMePlease12_0-1617995485398.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found how to bring it in "revert to acrobat form" but it would help great if i can get the calculation from prior. I will no longer use the employee's rating to calculate the final overall score, it would just be the managers. same number of questions and weighting and using a drop down from 1-5. Thank you for the help so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to use code try67 gave you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did and it failed. I believe its because he changed it since I requested it to calculate both the employees score from 1-5 and managers score from 1-5 to count for the overall score. 

I stand corrected, only the managers score should count. Therefore I am leaving the managers drop downs with the field names of Q1-Q8 like his code and will name the code for the employees code something else so it doesn't calculate it.  

The employee can rate themselves too so each question will have two drop downs next to it, but the employee's rating is just for show if that makes sense. Only the managers score should count at the end where I have a text field and using the calculate tab. Sorry for changing my requests many times and not having it set in stone before I posed the question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is failed? Code doesn't work at all or it calculate wrong?

Code should give you percentage of rating, did you format field as percentage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the code into the custom calculation script it opened as a "javascript editor"

HelpMePlease12_0-1618000340528.png

I then formatted as a percentage 

HelpMePlease12_1-1618000358816.png

I saved the form and opened it up and chose 4 for each of the rating fields labeled Q1-Q8 but the overall score was just showing as 0.00%. 

These are what the rating scales look like and they are defaulted to 1 because it's forcing me to chose a default. 

HelpMePlease12_2-1618000429138.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, try reading last part of @Nesa Nurani  post above and see if that resolve issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh man that worked. you guys are awesome. 

Just a couple things for the future

1) is there a way i don't have to elect a number in the drop down, and be able to leave it blank, so that overall score isn't preloaded with a percentage? 

2) for other job positions I may need to add questions. Would it be as simple as keeping everything the same and adjusting the rating weight and adding multiple lines for the extra questions? 

I'm curious how this code was created in the first place. I would have never understood how to code it myself. Are there tutorials to learn this? This was a great help and appreciate going out the way everyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you please help me with this similar problem.

I have 3 fields called "Text1" "Text2" and "Text3".  I have to calculate weighted average of these 3 fields which will appear in a field called "Total".

The Total should contain : 10% of the value of "Text1",  20% of the value of "Text2",  70% of the value of "Text3".

I have urgent need to get this done. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one's easy. Under the Simple Field Notation option of the Calculate tab enter the following:

(Text1 * 0.1)  + (Text2 * 0.2) + (Text3 * 0.7)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Perfect.

Is there any easy way of locking all the fields on a page quickly without having to select individual fields or group of fields ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to ask anyone what is the best way to send a pdf .  If I send it by email, some items like drop downs don't work anymore. But if the same file is copied from a pendrive , it works perfectly. Any way to avoid this ? I don't think it's a question of Mac or pc, because we both use acrobat reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably happening because they're not opening the emailed file in Reader, but using some other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need to do is force the users to only view your PDF in an application where it will work, i.e. Acrobat Reader. It's unfortunate, but users are often forced into opening PDFs on crappy PDF Viewers, like the Safari PDF viewer, or MS Edge.

There is a solution to this problem:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Lite-Document-Security-Description.cfm

Contact me if you are interested and I can help you with setting up your document. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines