• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to automatically populate a field based on the item selected in a drop down list

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community Brains Trust,

I am currently using Adobe Acrobat DC Pro 2015 and am a complete javascript noob!

I am trying to create a fillable PDF client order form - there is a drop-down field called Nutrition Product (20 items) and another field called Nutrition Product code, and I want to set the following action:

• If Product 1 is selected in the Nutrition Product drop-down list, Product 1 code will automatically populate in the Nutrition Product Code field, and so on..

For each of the products in the drop- down list, I have included the product code in the Export Value field in the Options tab.

I have read a few articles and tried the below javascript code in the Nutrition Product field, however the Nutrition product code field is not auto-populating with the code number. Where am I going wrong? Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks TJ 😊

if(event.value == "Ensure Powder Vanilla 850g can"){
this.getField("Nutrition_Product_Code").value = "S619.185";}
else if(event.value == "Ensure Powder Chocolate 850g "){
this.getField("Nutrition_Product_Code ").value = "S620.185";}
else {
this.getField("Nutrition_Product_Code").value = "";}

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

If you set export value, then use this as custom calculation script of Nutrition Product code field:

event.value = this.getField("Nutrition Product").value;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

The console.println() should be placed at the top of the script.

Like this.

console.println("Selected:" + event.value + ":");

Every time a selection is made, the value seen by the script will be printed to the console window. You can then match these values against the ones used in the script.  

The reported error is from code run in the console window.   I'd ignore it for now and work on making sure the selected values match the code. 

Looks like you are on the way to a working script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the face of it your code looks good. But there are several things that can go wrong. 

1) Where is this code placed? It should be in the validation script for the dropdown

2) The dropdown "commit selected value immediately" option should be set.

3) Are you sur about the values?  Use a console.println() statement in the code to ensure you are using the correct ones. 

4) Did you  check the console window for errors?

5) There are two errors in the code. Both are extra spaces inside quotes.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Thom! Please see my responses below:

1) Yes, the code is placed in the Validation script in the dropdown

2) Yes, this box has been ticked

3) The product codes are the supplier's codes (the order is sent to 3rd party supplier). Oh, where abouts do i include the console.println() statement in the code? 

4) I just looked up your article on how to do this 🙂 i entered the code in this window and it came up with the following error message: 

SyntaxError: syntax error
1:Console:Exec
undefined

What does this mean please?

5) Thank you for the pick up, i have removed the extra spaces!

Many thanks for your help Thom 🙂 TJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The console.println() should be placed at the top of the script.

Like this.

console.println("Selected:" + event.value + ":");

Every time a selection is made, the value seen by the script will be printed to the console window. You can then match these values against the ones used in the script.  

The reported error is from code run in the console window.   I'd ignore it for now and work on making sure the selected values match the code. 

Looks like you are on the way to a working script. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolute wizard, this worked! Thanks so much 🙂 TJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set export value, then use this as custom calculation script of Nutrition Product code field:

event.value = this.getField("Nutrition Product").value;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply Nesa 🙂 This seems like a much simpler code! I'm going to give this a go as I have another 6 set of product categories with >100 product items!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have an extra space at the end of the field name in this line:

this.getField("Nutrition_Product_Code ").value = "S620.185";}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is very similar to what I am trying to achieve, I think. I am VERY new to this. 

I have a form with a drop down field labeled "Wreckers". Below this field is where their address will be. I would like the "address" text box to automatically populate the address for any of the options in the drop down list. 

I hope I have given enough information or ever worded this in a manner that can be understood.

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines