• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change the default author name?

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When my laptop computer was first set out by the company's IT department they misspelled my name, so every comment I did in adobe would come out with my name spelled wrong, I had the IT guys fix my Laptop's Log in name but when I comment in Adobe, it still shows the same misspelled name, is there a way to make Adobe recognise the new name in the Windows 10 log in?? By the way I have the "Always use log in name for authors name" checkbox checked.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quick fix: Try unchecking that box and correcting the mispellled name in Acrobat preferences.

Also, the “login name” I believe refers to the how you’re logged into Acrobat, not the Windows login. Did the IT department also mispell your name when they set up your Adobe account? That’s likely the issue. They would need to fix it there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlosg,

As DocumentGeek mentioned above, check your login name in the application preferences.

To check that, please refer to the steps mentioned below:

- Launch the Adobe application you are using to add comments.

- Go to Edit > Preferences > Identity.

- Check if your name is spelled correctly in the Login Name field.

You may also change the author name from the comment properties window.

- Open the PDF and go to Comment.

- Add any comment on PDF.

- Right click on the comment added and select properties.

- Go to general and change the author name.

- Check the box for "Make properties default".

Note: Make sure that the box for "Always use login name for authors name" must be unchecked.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning! I followed your directions above.  "Always use login name for authors name" was already unchecked.  In the properties for my comment the author name is greyed out and I can not change.  Also the box for "Make properties default" was also not checked.  Do you have any other suggestions?  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very strange. Were you able to edit any of the other properties of the comment? If not, make sure the Locked box is not ticked. Also, what's the exact version number of the application (You can find it out by going to Help - About Adobe Acrobat)? What's your OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to edit anything in the properties and the version is 2020.013.20074.

Operating system is Windows 10 Pro

Your thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume this behavior exists for multiple PDF files... or is it unique to just one?  Not sure I've ever seen the comment's properties being grayed out.  I'm assuming, also, that there is no security preventing adjustment. 

Any further details you can uncover/share might be helpful.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is across all pdf's and I do not see any security that would prevent me from changing.  I will check with our IT department for any other security measures that I am not aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT Department says there are no security restrictions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat/Reader are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 20.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to install all available updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there were no updates pending

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then that's not the version number you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Creative Cloud account and when I hover over the app, it says Version 20.0.  When it opens it is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the exact version number of Acrobat by opening it and then going to Help - About Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for @try67 's explanation its really helped, and i think i found the solution!

Hello @elizabethd82518474  its 2023 now, and I encountered the same problem with you! 

edit - preference - identity - login name (make sure your login name is your name.) 

*make sure you TICKED "Always use login name for author name"*

and here you go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi marieb82518474

1. Go to Go to Edit > Preferences > Commenting. Uncheck the box "Always use log in name for authors name";
  2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Identity. The “Login name” field will be greyed out. Fill in the “Name” field with the name you want to appear in your comments.

Hope this solves your issue. Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you have to have the pro version to do this and that's why it isn't working for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this can be done even in the free Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2023.001.20174

Following instructions above

Go to Go to Edit > Preferences > Commenting. Uncheck the box "Always use log in name for authors name" - this box was already unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My proposed solution in 2021 is outdated, even be for my Adobe Acrobat release. Here is an alternative solution:

Open any PDF file and highlight any word in the text.

Right-click and select "Add Note to Text";

Type any text in the comment box and close it;

Right-click on the highlighted word and select "Properties";

Go to the "General Tab", replace the name that appears in the "Author" field with the name you want to appear in your comments;

Check the "Make Porperties Default" box, click the "OK" button and close the comment box;

Click once more with the right mouse button on the highlighted word and select "Delete" to remove the comment. Save the file;

The next comments on your PDF files will display the new chosen name;

Let us know if it works for you. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First of all above steps, go to Edit > Preferences > Commenting and uncheck the box "Always use login name as author name". Keep the box uncheck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines