• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to find out which CMYK color is used in Acrobat PDF?

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My client gave me a PDF of his previous catalogue. I have to use the same colors for certain background items (not text, but boxes, shapes and lines, etc.) Is there a simple way to find out which CMYK color is used for those items.

In illustrator, you can use (I), but Acrobat doesn't have such a possilibility, does it??

Thanks,

K

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Are you using Acrobat DC? At the top of your screen you should see a Tools tab, click it and then find Print Production, then Output Preview. (see the previous screen shot), in the Output Preview panel, select Show: All and Preview: Separations. This should work with both vector and raster color values. If it's not working, try closing and re-opening your PDF. I have added Output Preview to my tool bar for quick access.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about Illustrator. The question was about Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Preflight tool to get a list of all the colors used in the file. Open it via Tools - Print Production - Preflight (or just search for "preflight" if you're using Acrobat DC Pro) and then search the Profiles list for "list" and you'll see several options. You can also create your own Profiles, if the built-in ones don't do what you need, but that is more complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

thanks for the reply.

I'm not an expert in this, so this is the only thing I find...

so far I see no list with the used colors.

is it possible to make a screenshot where I have to look?

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-19 om 13.18.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tools> Print Production> Output Preview

Move the cursor over a color to identify it.

You can also open the PDF in Illustrator (just to get a list of the colors). From the swatches fly-out menu, select Add used colors which will find and add all used colors to your swatches. Edit, actually this does not work as well as I thought.

It would be a good idea to confirm the supplied PDF is the final print version, and not a web or low res (RGB) version.

Output preview.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Luke,

When I move the cursor over a colored box in Acrobat, I only see a 'black arrow' or a 'hand', not how many percentage C, M, Y, and how many K... I must be doing something wrong then?

It would be wonderfull if the cursor would give me CMYK-values! 

Opening in Illustrator is what I will have to do if Acrobat doens't have an easy opportunity...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Acrobat DC? At the top of your screen you should see a Tools tab, click it and then find Print Production, then Output Preview. (see the previous screen shot), in the Output Preview panel, select Show: All and Preview: Separations. This should work with both vector and raster color values. If it's not working, try closing and re-opening your PDF. I have added Output Preview to my tool bar for quick access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, Luke!

It works fine now! 

Have a nice day,

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help 2019 Luke!
For me, I had to find Output Preview through a "more tools" menu on my Adobe Acrobat.
Likely just moved with an update*   🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines