• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to have a drop down item generate text in a form based on text from different form.

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to have an item from a drop down form take data from one form field and copy it to a different form field. Hopefully with some organization.

I am making a custom character sheet for an RPG. I would like to have 2 different inventory sheets. The first sheet tracks items based on where they are on the character. (Backpack, pouch, coin purse, etc.) The second sheet organizes the items by type. (Weapons, treasure, potions, etc.) However, I do not want to enter in the data manually. I want to enter the data in one of the sheets, and it will auto fill the other.

So, lets say I have a backpack with several text form fields to enter in items, and then next to each text item is a dropdown list that has options for the type of item. I have an item called HAMMER that I type into the text form. I then select the dropdown item WEAPON. 

Then, the text that is HAMMER will generate on the second inventory sheet, under the dedicated WEAPONS text form box. 

Ideally, several selections from various forms will be able generate text in the same text box, and perhaps be sorted alphabetically. 

I have provided the file example. It is mostly just a visual representation of what I want the end result to look like. At least as a draft. 

The complex example includes multiple text forms combining into 1 line of text. I'd be interested to know if this is possible but I am not adamant in implementing this. 

TOPICS
How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Yes, it is, using a custom-made script. You can collect all the values from the text fields into arrays (one for weapons, one for treasure, etc.), sort them, and then write them out to the corresponding multi-line text fields.

Your fields names are consistent, which is good, as it will make writing the loop for this easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is, using a custom-made script. You can collect all the values from the text fields into arrays (one for weapons, one for treasure, etc.), sort them, and then write them out to the corresponding multi-line text fields.

Your fields names are consistent, which is good, as it will make writing the loop for this easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I am not versed in writing scripts but in the future I may try it. Or seek someone to do it for me.

Good to know that this is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're interested in hiring a professional to create it for you, feel free to contact me privately by clicking my user-name and then on "Send a Message".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines