• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to know if image is bitmap or Metafile or others?

Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help to find out if images in PDF are bitmap or Metafile or others.

These images are Excel Charts and Tables but I am unsure how they end up in PDF given to me i.e. are they from Excel or Pasted Content ?

My understanding up-to-now is bitmap or Metafile are closest to original quality as possible.

Is there a tool to list properties of images ? or should I look for DPI of each image?

Thanks Ahead!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Acrobat DC, you can choose Edit PDF. When you click on an object, if it is bitmap the whole object will be selected. Once it is selected, if you right click on it and choose Edit Using, if it is bitmap the list in the menu will default to Photoshop.

After choosing Edit PDF, if you click on an object and only part of it is selected, for example, if you click one of the lines in the table and only that line is selected, it is vector. If you right click on it the menu will default to listing Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files do not contain metafile graphics. I think the best description for what you mean is likely "vector".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Open the Output Preview (Acrobat Pro : Tools : Print Production : Output Preview).

- Select "Preview : Object Inspector".

- Click on any image to show all its properties (or ALT-Click to create a sticky note containing all its properties).

Raster image:

Capture_2302280943.png

Vector image:

Capture_2302280946.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advise but for someone whose job is to print, Arobat Pro unfortunately is unavailable and unlikely purchased when its power is not needed ; what about Acrobat DC? Also, for my urgent month-end financial report of 40 slides luckily containing only one image, I do not know how to quickly

1. click on each image 
  2. decide it qualifies for highest quality printing 

how to find out how to batch/mass list attributes of all slides instead of one by one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To-date, my best effort is to export PDF to image and view them by File Explorer; but why only Size but not dimension (Width and Height) ? (even though dimension-related columns are enabled in File Explorer)230301 how to batch_mass list attributes of all slides instead of one by one.2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I correct myself. The dimensions can be listed; but still need to work on getting the format of images within PDF until export tool add option for original format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines