• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make PDF open in full file preview by default? (PDFs don't just open anymore)

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years and years, when I clicked a PDF file, it opened in my Acrobat Pro where I see the entire file, and some menus at the top. Now, when I click a PDF file, it opens the program, but all I see is columns ABOUT the file. Name, date, file size, etc. It looks like a subset window explorer / Finder thing. I just want to open the PDF? Why doesn't this happen anymore? I have spent an hour at work trying just to figure out what this thing is or what it is called so I can google that. 

How do I make my PDF viewer software go back to ..... viewing the actual PDF?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you are unable to open the PDF files anymore and getting the columns for File. Name, date, file size.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. Also please share the screenshot or a small video of the issue for a better understanding.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once and see if that helps.

Please try to repair the installation from the help menu (Windows Only) and reboot the computer and see if that makes any difference. Go to Help > Repair Installation.

Also, try to reset the Acrobat preferences to default as described in the help page - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal, we are having the same issue when we convert PDFs from outlook. Here is a screenshot of the view we have once we convert from outlook. How can we get the PDFs to open with the normal view and tool bars?  We have confirmed this only happens to converted PDFs from outlook, it does not impact .jpeg or other .pdf files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this issue as well. Did resetting to default preferences work for you?  Our Adobe is run on a remote desktop so we are unable to attempt a clean installation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mike

We are sorry to hear that. I am unable to find any screenshot attached with your post above. Would you mind sharing the screenhot of the issue for a bette runderstanding? 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines