• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open a PDF with Acrobat that is on Google Drive without having to download

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I store may PDF in Google Drive (cloud not desktop) and would like to view them in acrobat.  When I try to open the PDF, I am presented with a number of options to open the PDF but none of them are with Acrobat.  Google drive provides an option to "connect more apps" however I can't seem to find any information on how to do this with Acrobat.  As popular as Acrobat is, I would think that many others have tried to do this as well.  I see several people posting questions on other forums but the only answers I've seen is to download which isn't really a solution.    Thanks in advance for the help.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Looks like Open With > Apps On Your Computer is the way to go, but it wants to install something first which I don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a step in the right direction; I look forward to seeing one of these extensions for Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this on the Adobe website:

Chrome on Mac or Windows

Chrome and Acrobat are no longer compatible. For more information, see Change in support for Acrobat and Reader plug-ins in modern web browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This article and the situation is over three years old!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's four years old and they still haven't fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone resolved this issue yet? I used to see an option to "open a file with Adobe Acrobat", but now i don't see that anymore. I only see an option to open with "Lumin" or "Google Docs" or to "connect more apps" but when i select that I can't find Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is entirely up to Google. Adobe has no say in this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In regards to the comment about used to see an option, you may be referring to this.

I have Firefox on a Windows 10 based computer.  I am accessing a pdf on someone else's Google Drive.  I have read-only acces to the doc.  I click the download link.  A open/save dialog box is displayed.  I select Open with Adobe Acrobat Reader and then click OK.  The pdf opens in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've read this forum, I've come to the conclusion that Google Drive and Acrobat are simply not compatible, which is a real shame. It forces me to keep using dropBox for storage because there at least I can open up files in Acrobat wherever I am, edit and save...no need to download. I really wanted to believe having a google suite would allow me to keep it all contained in one easy to find and store system, but it's not going to happen. Dissapointing, but I think the problem indeed is with Google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After searching all over for how to do this (as it worked on my laptop, but not a coworker's), we figured out Google File Stream and turning on the Application Launcher for Drive extension in Chrome will allow you to edit PDF's from Drive using the desktop Acrobat application:Open With Adobe Acrobat.png

You could also open PDF's directly in Acrobat using File Stream. Hope this helps anyone else trying to figure out how to make this work, though I realize this is a new solution to an old problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have specified we're still using Acrobat Pro XI. Unfortunately, DC is not available for our office's use at the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used pdffiller and is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, in iOS it works fine. The same adobe illustrator PDF looks perfect on my phone. Drive couldn't preview it on my desktop. It only prompted me to open it with Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines