• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't open a file I created. Either n ot a supported file or type or file has been damaged

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created multiple files using my copy of acrobat 9 pro. Suddenly, I'm getting errors that read: Acrobat could not open *.pdf because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged.

I have multiple files giving this same result. I find it difficult to believe that all my files are damaged ?

The only difference is they were created when I was using win7 and I've since upgraded to 10 

I'd be grateful for assistance, as I can't re-create any of these documents. I attached an image of the error message.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be happy too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file in a plain-text editor (like Notepad). What's the first line you see there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just scrambled code "globs"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it doesn't start like this:

%PDF-1.7

(the number can change, but the text has to be that)

then it's not a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found this question in a search because I'm having the same issue.  I did follow the instructions above and the document has %PDF-1.6.  This just started happening in the last few days and involves multiple documents that have been opened numerous times before.  I have updated to the latest version.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines