• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to create a pdf resume with GIFs, Looping video, and embedded material

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as the title says... I am in the design industry and I envision a PDF resume that is interactive. FOr exmple hovering over a GIF to play it, or looping videos I have made from my portfolio, even content pulled straight from my portfolio website dirrectly onto the PDF.

I cannot be the first person to think of this. Am I? Having hired a lot of people in my previous career I can safely say that if I saw something this creative... I would undoubtably follow up with this creative mind.

So Adobe community, how do I make this happen?

Keep in mind Resumes generally have to be submitted in PDF or Word dox... I cannot submit a link to my portfolio online. And anyone that has ever gone through a stack of resumes would know they cannot be bothered to click a link to go somewhere else... it needs to be right there in your face, in all of it's one of a kind, rare gem, glory.

javascript maybe? I don't know the first thing about coding so, many apologies for my ignorance.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , JavaScript , Rich media and 3D , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GIF (animated or not) is not supported in the PDF format.

Videos only work with "real" PDF reader software (Acrobat Reader, F*x*t Reader…), it does not work with most (low-end) default PDF readers (Edge, Preview…).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat supports javascript, do you know what that is for, or all about? Thank You by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always dissect the animated example provided in this topic:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-pdf-with-embedded-gifs/m-p/11749733#M293535

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah! That's the ticket!! Thank you, exactly what I was looking for... now I just have to see if this person is still around to share the technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If making interactive PDF, you need to be in a position to lay down the law: you MUST download this file, you MUST use Acrobat or Reader, you MUST NOT use an iPhone or iPad. If I may say so, if this is a resume, you are NOT in a position to lay down the law. Therefore, I recommend that if you want an interactive page, that you make it on a web page.

If this is a regular job, and you just want to power up your resume, I'd like to point out that in many companies the first thing that happens is that the text is scraped from the resume, and the PDF is then filed. The boss and interview panel DO NOT see the PDF, only the text. This is often done to ensure equality. Even in those where the PDF gets to the decision maker, they will give your resume about 30 seconds, and won't go clicking on it.  Only submit a fancy resume IF ASKED. Otherwise, it's appropriate to make a web site - your portfolio - and link to it. The interview panel will have printouts if anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you. As a hiring manager in my previous life, yes this is generally the process. HR processes resume in such a way that ensures equality and inclusion now a days. 

However, I am looking in the UX UI design field, where efficiency and innovation are a top priority followed closely knowledge base. Most of the companies I've been looking at are smaller companies which, I would bet anything they don't have an HR department to file away resumes.

So, if you were looking for someone effient, creative, and knowledgable, how would you go about getting someone's attention? My resume is less than stellar as I have no prior experience so stats and history aren't going to get me hired. All I need is a call back and an interview, I can take it from there.

For example I was looking at a mining company that requires UI UX designers for their programs that use AI to automate much of work already done by machines. They sell the apps and software. If I were in charge of a mining operation and needed someone who demonstrated innovation and efficiency, I checked and this company does not have an HR department to pre-screen applicants, I would at least start with the one that stood out to me. I have all the relevant skills and some. My work is exponentially top notch and innovation mid as well be my middle name, but a bland, standard resume would never reflect that.

Having said all of that, what would you do to stand out as a small fish amoung a sea of yellow fin tuna?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When my son was younger, he made a cover letter with a bouncing corgi gif to emphasize his enthusiasm. My wife and I asked him to please think about that as that is not something that is appropriate for a cover letter. He flatly insisted on it and was very proud of the bouncing corgi. (Admittedly he's been surrounded by bouncing corgis in real live since he was born.)

He was home for the holidays and is now VERY comfortably in his 2nd big job and thinking of moving to his 3rd big job (lots of 6 figures here). I asked him about the bouncing corgis and if they might have held him back in being hired earlier.

He laughed and admitted it wasn't a bright idea to begin with.

Just sayin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good day! Very interesting information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines