• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In new version of Reader, missing "Open Documents As New Tabs In The Same Window"

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just installed the most recent version of Adobe Reader (and under Settings->General I no longer see this option: 

"Open Documents As New Tabs In The Same Window"

I always selected it, as I prefer to have documents open in separate windows.

How can I do this in the new version?

I have exactly this installed: Adobe Acrobat Reader Continuous Release | Version 2023.001.20064 | 64-bit

TOPICS
Modern Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Hi All,

We appreciate your valuable feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve Acrobat, and we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your feedback.  

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on all the currently unavailable features, such as 'open PDFs in a new window' and customizing th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tomasz2888679973ft 

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Have you started experiencing this issue after the recent release?

It seems like you are using the modern viewer of the application. If yes, please click on the hamburger menu (Windows) on the top left corner > Disable New Acrobat

For macOS: Go to View > Disable new Acrobat. and reboot the application.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/new-acrobat-experience.html

Then go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > General > and check for the option 'Open documents as new tab in same window'

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm back to the old experience, and I can now change the setting. Problem solved, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tomasz2888679973ft 

We are glad to hear that. Marking a reply or response “Correct” will help future users with the same issue quickly identify the correct answer.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does disableing new Acrobat experience do...I'd like to also be able to open new documents as seperate tabs...but don't want to lose other benefits...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same but I don't have a hamburger menu when I view Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. So I can't disable new acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't have the disable new Acrobat is because you are still in the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then why don't I have the tab option "Open Documents As New Tabs In The Same Window"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its in the preferences - edit - preferences - general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I am doing.  So weird (see screenshot)

elaineh43545887_0-1691009466912.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very weird.  If you haven't tried to do a thorough uninstall, I would use this tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html and then install from this link Direct links for Adobe Acrobat Pro download and Adobe Acrobat Standard download.

Hope that resolves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a correct answer!  Thank you.  I want to be able to decide whether new files open in a new window or a tab.  Glad it's still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal, that check box is missing in my acrobat refer below snapshot

Alex33780288kc9k_0-1700627846894.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This is a known issue and our engineering team is working on it.

The fix will be available in the future updates.

Thanks for your time and patience.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here because I noticed the same thing and experimented with both versions to attempt to find a solution. 

As of this date, 6/30/2023, the "Open Documents As New Tabs In The Same Window" option STILL has not been added to the new version of Acrobat.  Reverting to the old Acrobat is, unfortunately, the only workaround (clicking on the hamburger menu in the New Acrobat and selecting "Disable New Acrobat").  

Hopefully the Development team will catch wind of our frustrations and simly add the ""Open Documents As New Tabs In The Same Window" to the New Acrobat! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, i work in Aviation and we frequently have need to open 2 or more PDF's side by side. it is a frustration that the feature  to have "documents open in separate windows" is not a standard user selectable option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto! Well said!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish they didn't automatically enable new software that would cause someone to not be able to get their work done in the time one expects.  Since we all have memberships, Adobe can change things slowly.  Adobe says. if you want to automatically open documents in new windows, just simply never upgrade ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This issue is reported to our engineering team and is being worked upon.

The fix will be available in the future updates.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option still appears to be not available? any update? even the option of being able to view 2 documents side by side in the same window would be handy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We appreciate your valuable feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve Acrobat, and we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your feedback.  

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on all the currently unavailable features, such as 'open PDFs in a new window' and customizing these preferences. We will address them with the highest priority.

As you get more comfortable with the new interface, please contact us with specific questions on tools, features, or functionalities. We're happy to provide helpful resources and answers to your questions.

If your critical workflows are impacted, you can switch to the old UI from the "Menu" on the top left corner of  Windows OS and View Menu on MacOS. We will follow up with a detailed community-featured post, guiding you to familiarise yourself with the new interface and regular updates on upcoming changes.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can you restore the open new PDFs in new window - disappeared from new version as well as old version, please this is very frustrating for a service that i am paying monthly for !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat 2023 ("New Acrobat") and the Acrobat Reader need the option to open each document in a new window.

This should be possible without disabling New Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad to read that you consider the users' preferences to be respected and we will be able to open PDFs in new windows instead of tabs by default. It took me 15 minutes investigation on the internet to find the interim solution which is turning off the new Acrobat.

For future releases, just keep an old saying in mind "Every feature is a but until you can't turn it off".

I am happy Adobe is willing to fix the bug and I am not supposed to move to a different vendor.

Thanks, 

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also came here looking for the option.

Found out that you can drag the tabs off the main window (like in Chrome) to open them as separate instances. 

Not ideal but it works for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines