Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert editable picture into PDF form?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

I am creating editable marketing flyers for a client.  I'm opening my PDF (originally created in Illustrator) in Acrobat and adding editable form feilds for the end user to add their contact information to each piece.  The enduser also wants to add a photo with their contact info.  Is there a way to create this as part of the form?  Ultimately, I'm wanting them to be able to insert a picture into a specified area and not have to resize the photo.  Is this possible in Acrobat professional?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  I'm working in CS3 and Acrobat 8, on a mac.

Cheers,

Lilly

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

You can create a button and add a script to it that would prompt the user

to select an image file when that button is clicked. Then that image can be

displayed using the same button (buttons can show either an image or text).

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get the button set up in DC and they work perfectly. Is there a way to delete the photo once it has been added. I am creating an inspection form and the pictures will be added as evidence of a finding within the inspection. I'm looking for a way to delete a photo that was added in error, as apposed to starting the inspection form over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same question. Made a inspection form where pictures can be added. Once Im done with that inspection and saved the document I want to clear the form with a reset button but the button does not reset the pictures. I can only clear the pictures if I prepare the form again in DC Pro and clear it in the properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reset a button icon to nothing, add a button and set it to be hidden and have a layout of "Icon only" and don't have anything set as the button icon. You can then use code like the following for the reset button:

// Mouse Up script to clear button icon

// Get a blank icon from the hidden button

var oIconClear = getField("buttonClear").buttonGetIcon({nFace: 0});

// Assign the blank icon to the button you want to reset 

getField("b1").buttonSetIcon({oIcon: oIconClear, nFace: 0});

where "buttonClear" is the name of the hidden button and "b1" is the name of the button that you want to reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - this was helpful but how do I get the form to be blank - it wants to keep the last picture I put up....is there a way to clear it so that I can save it as a cleared document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a sample PDF that shows how you can do this: https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=Y8yNh5pIkMTlreBhZ5CUHQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link is possibly expired! I am SO curious to have the answer to this question.  I can't set a true "clear" function for my pictures!

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=Y8yNh5pIkMTlreBhZ5CUHQ

var f = this.getField("Button2.0.1");

var g = this.getField("Button_2");

var temp = f.buttonGetIcon();

f.buttonSetIcon(g.buttonGetIcon());

g.buttonSetIcon(temp);

This is what I am using. I set up some "hidden" buttons with a "blank" image.  It always stores the most recent image that was in Button2.0.1 back up to Button_2.

George_Johnson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that this question was first brought up and answered in 2012, but now with Acrobat Pro DC, I no longer have the "Icon Only" option. I don't even have a layout option. Any new ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be available. Are you looking at the properties of a button field? If so, make sure the form hasn't been distributed using EchoSign, which locks it and prevents you from making certain changes to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In layman's terms.... explain that again.  Lol!  This is my first time to ever enter any type of custom button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this so incredibly helpful! However, it appears this isn't quite as dummy proof for my audience as I expected it to be. I've received some feed back that the fact that you have to know the file type and select it upon importing is too difficult. Is there any way for the "Open" Dialog to chose from all file types? Or better yet, is there a way to just copy and paste an image into the button?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is negative to both questions, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide an example document that shows this working please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a program that replaced livecycle? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How i can insert image in adobe reader PDF  with mouse pointer or cursor ?

Dear, I need help so someone help me?

i did make the PDF and insert image in PDF ..

i want when i open the PDF file in adobe reader and click on image with the mouse cursor ..

then open the dialog box and i can insert new image in PDF on the previous image...

it must i want this work in adobe reader only not in adobe acrobat....

i want to insert image in adobe reader only with the mouse pointer or cursor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2015 Jan 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use adobe reader xi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that Reader XI solves all the above problems in the thread??

- In Acrobat, when making the form, you can create a space for a Reader user to add a picture into the form.

- The picture area will appear blank in the Reader form (not show the picture last used when creating the form)
- A user can add a picture in the Reader form in common formats like JPG, PNG, GIF in the Reader form (not limited to PDF)

^ Because I need all of that yesterday. My client needs me to do this and it's new to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MarkKennethKing,

Reader is limited to importing PDFs with the buttonImportIcon JavaScript method. Image formats are not allowed with Reader. It is relatively easy to convert images to PDF though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks George, I agree conversion is easy but this form is for sales people in the field who would need to be supplied with images converted to PDF (which we would then have to make and supply to them), and they are notoriously bad followers of direction, etc. It needs to be drop-dead easy.   "That phone pic you took: just stick it into the form."
The feature, as requested, seems so obvious/useful I don't get why it is still poorly implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always bear in mind that Adobe limit features in Reader because they are really keen on selling Acrobat. Doesn't suit everyone, but it is their only aim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, yes. It just seems like this one feature would not eat into Acrobat sales, but oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post has been invaluable for me! Thanks for everyone input. I have used the event.target.buttonImportIcon(); javascript to create PDF's the user can import, and it works great. However I now have on last challenge and I am hoping someone on this forum can help out with. Is there anyway (with a little javascript on the button) to have the image the user uploads flip upside down? I have a document that needs to be folded in half, and it would be perfect if I could have the user upload the image to both buttons, but have one button flip the image upside down. I know I could have the user do that image flipping and re-saving on their own, but I am trying to simplify things. Any ideas here would be helpful.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can simply duplicate the button and set the orientation (General tab of Field Properties dialog) of the second button to 180 degrees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WoW!! Totally missed that option, and it was right in front of my face.

Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wondrin.. when i try it ALMOST works but leaves the old image there too.. i need it to swap out the image. any insights?

thanx!

gg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines