Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive/Clickable Table of Contents..NOT the Bookmarks Bar

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Users,

I have a challenge...I have a 100+ page technical user manual that is created in microsoft word.  It has a TOC; that in word is clickable so in that it takes you to that section in the document.  No matter what I've tried when converting it to a PDF it will NOT retain that behavior.  Instead what I get is a side bar with bookmarks.  What I want, and swear I've seen before, is the ability of the reader to click the actually table of content section and have adobe reader advance them to that section.  Is this even possible anymore in Adobe Acrobat?  Or do I need some third party plugin or solution?  Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Thanks for reporting the issue of links not working. We can reproduce this issue with latest Office 365 version 2109 but not with Office 365 version 2108.

We are investigating it on priority and will try to resolve this at the earliest.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, please downgrade your Office version to 2108 for reverting to correct behavior.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rosstarino

This issue exists with latest version of Office 2019 as well. Please refer to this article for reverting to older version of Office 2019.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a91...

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a support ticket it to IT; we'll see if they'll roll me back or not.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I CAN CONFIRM; this workaround did work. rolling back to Version 2108 now allows me to save as PDF or use the Adobe Plugin and it retains the links in the ToC.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally laughing as I am fighting that battle right now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your patience. We have investigated this issue and found that this has broken with a recent Office update and would require a fix from Microsoft. 

This has also been raised on Microsoft fourms in several threads and acknowledged and it seems they are investigating this issue. Please follow these threads for updates.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/cross-references-and-toc-in-word-do-not-work-...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/when-i-export-a-word-to-pdf-the-table-of-cont...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/exporting-hyperlinks-to-pdf-from-word/4b792dc...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/cross-reference-links-eg-table-of-content-tab...

As a workaround, please revert to older version of Office to make links work.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have varioiur versions or office/word and all of them have this problem.  I have tried all of the work arounds suggested and none fixes the problem for us.  It is totally unacceptable and is causing us serious problems with huge reports.  Please get this fixed ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Please check if this issue happens with Microsoft's Save As -> PDF workflow as well.

If yes, then it is a Microsoft issue and would require a fix from Microsoft. Please raise concerns in the Microsoft forum threads shared above.

If not, then please share a sample Word file exhibiting this issue and the workflow that you are using to create PDF.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the solution to this problem now in 2023? I have no clickable table of contents in Adobe.

Thanks,

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how this problem of the non-clickable table of contents and non-clickable hyperlinks throughout the document was resolved:

(1) In Word, click File>Export>double click Create PDF/XPS Document

(2) The Publish dialog box appears. Press Options.

(3) Select Create bookmarks using:.  Select Headings. Press OK to close the dialog box.

(4) Press Publish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Donna,

I followed these instructions -- however when I get into the options dialogue it does not allow me to select "Headings" rather than "Word bookmarks."  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim Perry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines