• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF form Spawn Template method Inquiry

Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an interactive PDF form created using Adobe Acrobat 2020 in which event I would like to use the Spawn template method to add one to 30 or more pages to the form (using one template with renamed fields). As my one-page interactive PDF form (including the template) contains a total of 65 form fields, I am wondering if there possibly exists a point of diminishing returns if and when a user should decide to add 30 or more pages to the interactive PDF form. I should also add that while a 1-page interactive PDF form referenced herein performs well using Adobe Acrobat, I can only recall years ago that creating a 30-page plus interactive PDF form with as many as 60-100 form fields per page ended up being a nightmare. I should also add that the interactive PDF form is mainly intended for those using Adobe Reader version x or higher. Correct me if I am wrong but according to the latest version of Javascript for Acrobat API reference, I believe the spawn template method is supported in Adobe Reader whereas years ago it wasn't. All considered I am just hoping that an interactive PDF form of up to 30 pages or more is a viable solution as opposed to having to develop a database application to generate the form and then export it to a static PDF when finished, something I would prefer not to do. Any comments or suggestions regarding this subject matter are most appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by "diminishing returns", exactly... In what way is it "diminishing"? If you need 30 copies of the same form, that's the best way of doing it.

And yes, you can spawn pages in Reader now. You can even delete spawned pages with it.

If your fields contain calculations then duplicating the pages will double the number of calculated fields, which can cause some lags after a while. Also, you would have to use a custom calculation script for it to work properly on the spawned pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply 'Try67'. Didn't mean to confuse you by using the words 'diminishing returns'. What I probably should have stated is that I am curious to know if there exists a point of diminishing returns regarding the number of pages and form fields that may be added to an interactive PDF form before it begins to have an overall adverse effect on performance regardless of the laptop, desktop device, and OS. As I have been building, upgrading, and refurbishing both desktop and laptop computers, I have an advantage compared to most computer users. Since my Asus laptop is extremely fast given a formidable Intel processor and plenty of RAM, I myself don't have a problem. My concern is regarding those using average run-of-the-mill tablet and laptop computers running Windows 8 or higher with sub-par processors and 4GB of RAM. Aside from minimal hardware requirements over which I have no control, I wonder if this is all I should be worried about in using an interactive PDF with the ability to generate additional pages and form fields without limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's impossible to give a clear-cut answer to that question, as it depends on many factors, such as the complexity of the form, the number (and type) of calculations, the application used to view the file, the specs of the computer, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can spawn templates pages and delete them since version XI (11).

Foxit Reader too, since september 2021 version.

I am used to working on this type of document, no user has ever reported a noticeable slowdown, and yet some have outdated computers.

My fields are carefully named, regarding their original doc (some template have several pages), regarding their page number, their type, and their chapter if needed.

First I create interactivity in original documents, them I import or merge them before creating the templates.

Carefully name your templates too! Especialy if some have several pages, otherwise any maintenance will turn to a nightmare.

I also use a JavaScript in 2 Actions, one to hide all templates pages and one to show all of them. Really usefull when you have 78 templates to show/hide for each test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to JR, just the response I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines