• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF links and interactions don't function in Chrome Browser

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've create a long interactive PDF guide for a client (attached). They've uploaded it to their intranet, and their organisation uses Chrome as their official browser.

We're being told that none of the interactions, naviagation or hyperlinks are working when the PDF is viewed through their browser's PDF viewer - across multiple machines, both in their organisation and our account management partners. Unfortunately, we can't replicate this issue as all the Chrome browsers we've have access to are working perfectly.

Does anyone know what the issue is and how to resolve this, as client is quite irate?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they using the built-in PDF plugin in Chrome? If so, that could explain it.

They should instead save the file locally and then open it using Adobe Reader.

Issues with the Chrome PDF plugin should be reported to Google. It has nothing to do with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are - and I've mentioned that solution to the client manager already, but she's saying that's not an option. They want to be able to retain it on the intranet and access it via the browser as a sort of version control of the document. They're telling us that this is the first PDF they're having this issue with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't make sense. When you access a PDF file via the browser you're not accessing it directly from the web-server. It is saving the file locally and then displaying it from that copy. If the file is accessible via a local network then you will actually be better off opening it in Reader because then it will access that file directly from the network, unlike the Chrome browser. And also, it will work correctly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it doesn't make sense, and thanks for the input Try - I really do appreciate it.

Sadly however, none of this is sinking in with the client. I'm hoping someone in the community or adobe has a solution, rather than a work-around. I wish I could replicate the issue and then be able to test since it might be a specific instruction in the interaction that's triggering the Chrome reader to strip out all interactivity, but I can't and the client is in Scotland and we're in London. My apologies, I'm super frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one from Adobe is going to help solve issues with an application from another manufacturer... You need to contact Google about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It has been a few years since this post, but recently I was also breaking my head over this. Finally, I tried Acrobat Professional and edited it, which allowed me to add a hyperlink. So I saved it and opened it in Chrome (Mac). And it worked! Now, why Adobe hasn't figured out how to do this straight from InDesign is beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines