• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to make text appear on top of the highlights?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, I want my input text to appear unaffected by the local highlight color of the user.  I'm aware that the workarounds for making the blue highlight disappear or change in color are a pain in the ass and that it's silly that Adobe hasn't created a way to specify document-level input field highlight changes, but I'd at least like to know if I can make the text not overlapped by the highlight.  In the editor, it looks fine, the text is above the highlight.  When opened, however, the highlight is above the text, thus changing the colors and giving it a somewhat hidden look, which appears (in my and others' opinions) unprofessional and muddled.

A potential workaround I thought up would be to make a text field that dynamically updates based on the text of the input field, but I think that's a horrible bloated option and I'd much rather just have a way to make the blue highlight field not so annoying.  I'm aware none of this effects print quality, but I'd like the presentation of the form to be more appealing.

Thank you for your time!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you mean. The text in the form field is not affected by the fields highlighting.

Here's how it looks like without highlighting:

try67_0-1628416486988.png

And here it is with it (using the default color):

try67_1-1628416498470.png

What's the issue there, exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah you're not quite understanding, let me show you.

This is what the input form fields look like in Acrobat

Philsco_0-1628473414580.png

Here they are in Chrome

Philsco_1-1628473451693.png

Now I am aware that the highlight color (the brighter blue) is just how I have it set for personal preferences in acrobat, but the default reader pale blue (in Chrome) shows up OVER the text.  So the text takes on a shade of that color.  I want to know why the text shows up behind the highlight instead of overtop it like in Acrobat itself, and if there's a setting for it to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome is not Acrobat.  It has it's own way of displaying PDF files. You'll need to talk to them. Or go onto a Chrome Forum. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the answer is "no" okay got it haha.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, try67, quick question how to set highlight color back to default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm aware that the workarounds for making the blue highlight disappear or change in color are a pain in the ass and that it's silly that Adobe hasn't created a way to specify document-level input field highlight changes"

This is not true, it just requires 2 lines of JavaScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah but those two lines are a bit risky since it can potentially mess with their personal settings.  You're taking about turning their preference to no form field highlights on document open, and reenabling it on document close, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"quick question how to set highlight color back to default?"

app.runtimeHighlight = true;
app.runtimeHighlightColor = ["RGB", 204/255, 214/255, 255/255]; // default pale blue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines