• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there Scripting API for Reading PDF Form Fields without display opening file in Acrobat?

Participant ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is necessary to read the filled-in forms with the help of a script, selecting the required fields. The script is run from InDesign. To make the process go faster, it is advisable not to display each form on the screen using Acrobat, but only to read the required field data and close the file.
I have never worked with PDFs using scripts before, maybe there is an API for such a process?

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it. All Adobe (desktop) applications are built to display a file before processing it, AFAIK, but you should ask in the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file can be opened as Hidden in the JS API and in the IAC open the PDF through the PDDoc object. Both will return a document object that can be operated on, but is not displayed to the user. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the bHidden property has been disabled. At least, it didn't work for me the last couple of times I tried it. Have you used it recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just tried it. Worked from the console window. But showed itself after I made a change to a field and then closed without saving first. 

I've got the latest update, but running 32 bit with old UI.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines