• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

It takes forever to convert a Word file to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often need to convert Word files (.docx, .docm, etc.) to PDF for my work. Since I have upgraded the OS to Windows 10, it takes forever (up to 20 hours) to save a 500+ pages Word file to PDF. Previously, when I was using Windows 7, it took minutes (no more than 1 hour) to convert the same file.

I've tried many ways to reset MS Office and Acrobat but haven't found a better solution than waiting...

Can anyone help me accelerate the conversion process? Thank you!

BTW, I'm using:

• Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2021.005.20060
  • Microsoft 356 Apps for enterprise 16.0.14228.20204
  • Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2
TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should certainly not take that long.

What's the exact process you're taking to convert the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

++ Adding to the discussion.

Would you mind sharing the workflow/steps you are doing to create the PDF file out of the Word document? Please try to create the PDF using the Acrobat ribbon in the menu bar and see if that helps.  Also please check the steps shared in the help page - https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/how-to/create-pdf-files-word-excel-website.html

If the file is stored on a shared network/drive, please download it to your computer first and then try to create the PDF from it and check.

Also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described in the help page - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

If it still doesn't work, please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. No luck with all these... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I follow the steps below to save a Word file as Adobe PDF.

1. Open the Word file (.docm or .docx).
  2. Click File > Save as Adobe PDF or Acrobat > Create PDF.

Acrobat PDFMaker shows the progress till it's finished, after 15-20 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF fiel or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

Also please try the other suggestions as siggested earleir and see if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, same problem here - a Word document of any length takes an inordinate amount of time to convert to PDF - commonly 10-30 minutes. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jonathan22698709zdv0 

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the delayed response.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.3.20314 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone is still having this issue...

My system kept crashing when I clicked Save as Adobe PDF instead of Save As and then selecting PDF from Save as Type dropdown in Windows Explorer. 

I went from waiting hours just to have it crash to the conversion completing in about a minute. 

I presume if you skip straight Save as Adobe PDF in Word it makes some other unecessary conversions for readability, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that.

Please check for any pending/missing updates for MS Office and the OS and try updating it. Also,

make sure you have the recent version 24.01.20615 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Let us know how it goes.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines