Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Java Script hyperlink lookup

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I work in grants, and I am trying to develop a lookup for hypertext in PDFs. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has been rejecting applications that have unallowable hypertext (URLS without hyperlinks) and hyperlinks, so I need a way to search my PDF application previews to double check that any hypertext/links are allowable under the policy. This means that I have to be able to find the hypertext/links in PDFs that can be several hundred pages long. Ideally, I would like to generate a list of page numbers that contain hypertext/links, and highlight each instance in the PDF with the push of a button.

I was told by my IT office that Java Script is the way to go, but they don't have a JS programmer on staff to provide any help. I am NOT a programmer, and I am hoping against hope that there is an easy solution that someone can point me to. Please note that I can't simply do a CTRL+F word search due to embedded links not having URLs.

TOPICS
How to, JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created a (paid-for) tool that will generate links over plain-text URLs in a PDF file, but I recommend you make sure that the types of links created by JS will be accepted by the NIH before proceeding down this road. The main issue could be that JS can only create actions that execute JS code. You can't use it to create a "real" "open a web-page"-type action. It is possible to convert JS links to "real" ones, but that requires using a stand-alone tool (which is also something I've developed).

Script to create links from partial URLs: http://try67.blogspot.com/2009/06/acrobat-add-hyperlinks-based-on-partial.html

Tool to convert JS links to "real" links: https://www.try67.com/tool/convert-javascript-links-to-real-links

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines