• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Javascript in pdf for calculated result

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company I work at has a lot of print orders containings books and magazines.

For now we use a website, but we would like to use a pdf calculating the spine thickness.

Now is coding not one of my best skills, but coding in pdf files is completely new for me. 

The result should be that a client can choose a paper weight from a dropdown menu, a amount of pages and a paper volume. Say if the volume would be "matt"  and the pagecount is 128 and the weight would be 130, the sum would be:

Spine = (9*130*128)/20000

Every volume has a own parameter. so does softcover and hardcover. Every var is linked to a form field in the said PDF. Now the problem starts when I want to get the value of the dropdown menu using getfield. How does the script know the value of the selected value in the dropdown menu.

If it is not clear enough I will give more information.

Thanks in advance. 

var Volume = this.getField("Volume");
var Weight = this.getField("Weight");
var Count = this.getField("Count");
var Cover = this.getField("Cover");
var Spine;

/////Paper Volume
if (Volume.value == "Matt")
{
	return "9";	
}

if (Volume.value == "Gloss")
{
	return "8";	
}

if (Volume.value == "Silk")
{
	return "9";	
}

/////Cover kiezen
if (Cover.value == "Hardcover")
{
	return "6";
}

if (Cover.value == "Softcover")
{
	return "1";
}

Spine = Volume*Weight*Count/20000;

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , JavaScript , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is that a problem? You access it using getField and the value property, just like any other field.

PS. You can only use the return command in a function, and it doesn't seem you've created a function here, so that won't work. Instead, just apply it to a variable and then use that variable in your calculation. However, you should drop the double-quotes around the values, as that converts them into strings and will make working with them later on more problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly advice your company to invest in a proper ordering system for your clients, written and maintained professionally. These are large value transactions, have you evaluated the effect on your business if, say, 10% of orders are lost forever - a conservative guess for a PDF form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where do you use "Cover" in your script calculation?
You set it to "Spine" var but you didn't use it to set field value(at least not that I see).

EDIT:

If you want to show result in text field you can try something like this as custom calculation script of text field:

var Volume = this.getField("Volume").valueAsString;
var Weight = this.getField("Weight").value;
var Count = this.getField("Count").value;
var Cover = this.getField("Cover").valueAsString;
var v = 0;
var c = 0;

/////Paper Volume
if(Volume == "Matt")v=9;
else if (Volume == "Gloss")v=8;
else if (Volume == "Silk")v=9;

/////Cover kiezen
if(Cover == "Hardcover")c=6;
else if(Cover == "Softcover")c=1;
if(v == 0 || c == 0) event.value = "";
else
event.value = v*Weight*Count/20000;

Just add "c" to calculation because I wasn't sure where you want to add "Cover" to calculation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines