• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Letter spacing with Helvetica Now Variable

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a pdf with InDesign, using the new Helvetica Now Variable font. When I open the df with Adobe Acrobat, everytheing looks good. But when I print the file, some letter spacing gets messed up. Printing the same file with Apple’s Preview app everything is fine. You can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bu9rklyjewhh15v/Helvetica%20Now%20Variable.pdf?dl=0

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

In that case, converting to outlines may be your only option. I would run a preflight check in Acrobat Pro to see if it picks up anything "fishy" with the file, but I suspect because it came from InDesign, it's fine. Adobe knows how to create good PDF files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What printer are  you using? If the printer supports multiple languages, which one are you using (PostScript, PCL, PDF ...)? 

Most printing problems in my experience can be resolved by updating the printer driver. 

As a workaround, you can print the document "as image". You can find this optinon on the Advanced dialog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thak you, Karl Heinz,

I work on an iMac, my printer at home is an HP Laserjet M552, the Contol panel says "Airprint". But this happened with a poster in the local print shop with Adobe Acrobat too (but I don't know what machine was used). But we need a brochure with 80 plus pages and several hundred copies that will be printed in a big printing house. I don't know if I can tell them to change their usual work flow. I guess I will have to change text to paths (with much bigger file size).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not want to mark the post as "Correct answer", I was only trying to edit my post (insert the missing n in Thak you,).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the font embedded or subset embedded? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat tells me that subset is embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, converting to outlines may be your only option. I would run a preflight check in Acrobat Pro to see if it picks up anything "fishy" with the file, but I suspect because it came from InDesign, it's fine. Adobe knows how to create good PDF files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Karl Heinz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines